Thursday, May 9, 2013

Guacamole, Mexican Style

While in Mexico, I had a few things I wanted to do. One was to see the Mayan ruins. Check. Another was to watch my Mister snorkel. Check. Yet another was to learn to tread water (because I sink like a stone) in the salty Caribbean Sea. Check.  I also wanted to take Salsa dancing lessons. But after some careful consideration, and a reality check from my Mister, I gave up that dream. You see, I can't dance. Not because I'm white, but because the sounds in my head are far louder than the beats coming from the boombox.

Kind of like Elaine from the television show, Seinfeld.


Now, that girl can move.

Okay, maybe I'm not that bad, but learning to Salsa was not going to happen on this trip. So I appealed to my Mister's primal instincts. Food. Specifically guacamole.

The resort that we stayed at offered a guacamole class (incidentally, right after the Salsa dancing class!),  taught by their head chef. Never mind that we were swimming in the pool when the class was announced. And really never mind the pictures of me with swimmer's hair and orange skin, while wearing a wet t-shirt.

I beg you.



In order to recreate this at home, I opted to leave the swimsuit and the sunburn out.

You're welcome. ☺


~Guacamole~

1 ripe avocado
1-2 Tb. finely chopped tomato
1 Tb. minced onion (or less, depending on your preference)
1/2-1 Tb. minced jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed (again, use what you prefer)
1/2 Tb. fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1/2-1 Tb. fresh lime juice
pinch of sea salt
 
First, remove the large pit in the center of the avocado. In order to do this, take a knife and slice around the entire avocado, top to bottom.
 

Gently twist to separate the 2 pieces.
 
 
Take your knife and very carefully, hit the blade into the pit. Just as carefully, twist the knife to remove the pit.
 
 
 
 
Pretty cool, huh? The Mexican people have it going on.
 
Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado from the skin and place in a bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until it's smooth and creamy.
 
Don't be alarmed...that jar of yellow liquid is my first attempt at making ghee. Honest.
 
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
 

 
Serve with your favorite non-GMO tortilla chips.
 
Fresh guacamole does NOT keep well, so it's best to make this right before you need it.
 
Enjoy!


6 comments:

Carolyn said...

What awesome timing! I have, at this exact moment, three Avocados on the kitchen counter top just SCREAMING for me to make them into Guac!

Lisa said...

Oh, that Elaine is (was) something else, huh?! Surely you can't be that bad...

Thanks for the guac recipe, my friend. Enchiladas are on the menu for Monday's dinner, so I guess I'll be making up a batch. :)

Kim said...

Carolyn ~ Me too! And I did...again! :)

Lisa ~ Hope you enjoy it. I found a great deal on avocados at Fred Meyer, so we've been having this a lot! As for the dancing...oh, it's bad. Especially when you put my spaz dancing next to my disco dancing hubby. Very scary. ;)

Susan said...

I believe I hear Mexican Guacamole calling my name....

Anonymous said...

all you had to say was avocado and you had my full attention...

yum!!

countrynmore said...

Yummy. Thank you for the recipe.