Friday, June 15, 2012

Inexpensive Entertainment

A couple of weeks ago, I celebrated another year since my escape from the womb. I also added another year to the growing tally of how many times I can celebrate my 29th birthday.

I'm up to 16. Don't judge.

One of the things I enjoy in the evening is sitting next to a campfire. The sound of the wood crackling, the smell of the wood smoke as it drifts toward the night sky, the laughter of my children as yet another marshmallow spontaneously bursts into flames...that is inexpensive entertainment. And better than any rerun on the boob tube. Our last fire ring, which was a rusty old barrel cut in half, only made it through 2 summers. In our area, rain is a campfire ring's worst enemy. So, for my birthday, my family built me a Pacific Northwest worthy fire pit. If you need a last minute gift idea for Father's Day, a campfire ring just might fit the bill and the pocketbook.

Here's how:

There are 12 stones for each of the 3 rows, for a total of 36 bricks. The bricks, or cottage stones, are almost a foot in length, so if you use smaller stones, adjust accordingly. Arrange each row in a circular pattern and stack the next row in a staggered pattern. This will allow the air to circulate and keep your fire from turning into a smoldering smoke-fest. If you have grass, you can add a small bag of sand to the bottom of the ring if you want to, but it isn't necessary. Depending on the stone used, a campfire ring can cost as little as $36. The best part? It can last indefinitely.

And I guarantee it will last longer than 2 wet, Pacific Northwest winters.☺

*If you live in town, check with your local fire department about rules regarding backyard campfires.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oooooh! That's a wonderful fire ring! What a nice birthday present! I can just smell the smoldering marshmallows...

Tami said...

Very nice! I keep wanting to build up a fire pit. Right now its just a burn spot in my back lawn.

Candy C. said...

What a lovely birthday present! It turned out beautifully! :)