Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Easy Summer Curried Chicken Salad



We got another blast of summer here in the Pacific Northwest. They don't come often, but when they do, we take full advantage of the beautiful weather! More often than not, we are under a "marine layer"...which translate to "cloudy with a very slim chance of sunshine". I'm only slightly exaggerating, but you get my point.

When we do get warmer weather, I try to keep the house cool by not using the oven/stove. (We have wood stoves here, not air conditioning units!) Summer heat is a good time to experiment with salads! And sometimes, the kids even like them!


Summer Curried Chicken Salad

3 (12.5 oz.) cans of white chicken meat
1/2 large, sweet, red pepper; diced
2 stalks celery; diced small
1-2 cups red grapes; halved (personal preference)
1/2 cup chopped pecans; toasted
mayonnaise (I used approx. 3/4 cup, use what you like)
2 tsp. curry powder
sea salt, to taste
lettuce of your choice (I used baby romaine)

Mix everything, except the lettuce, together in large bowl. Place cut-up lettuce on individual plates and put a scoop (or 2) on top of lettuce. (I used an ice-cream scoop.) Serves 8.

I thought the kids would want some ranch dressing on it too, but decided to wait until they asked for it. They never did! They did ask that I make this again tomorrow! Score 1 for Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim. I have a recipes for several "homemade" cleaners. I haven't tried any because when my daughter-in-law left for Germany she gave me enough cleaners to last 2 grandparents for some time to come. The one I plan on trying is the "oxy clean" which is just 1 cup of water 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup baking soda. I'll let you know what I think. becky