Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Definitely NOT a German Apple Pancake!

Tuesday morning began like any other.

 After stumbling to the kitchen to plug in the coffee pot, I headed across the living room, carefully avoiding the coffee table, before settling into my recliner. For a full 13 minutes, the time it takes to perk a pot of my special blend of organic Sumatra's, I mentally kicked myself for not buying a programmable automatic-drip coffee pot. I grumbled about the coffee table being inappropriately named. I made mental notes of all of the things that were left out from the night before and I thought about how many chickens we needed to butcher when I heard the first rooster crow.

Have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person?

One thing that Tuesday had going for it was the promise of the German Apple Pancakes that I was going to make.

After my java jolt took hold.

Imagine my surprise to find that the German Apple Pancakes required apples to make them apple-y.

Ummm...I probably should've checked the fruit bowl before making my menu plan.

After my panic attack subsided, I did what any experienced mother does.

I improvised.

Now I can't remember why I needed the apples to begin with.

Raspberry Peach Pancake
(an original)


~The Players~

5 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 cup, plus 1 Tb. organic sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/8 t. sea salt
1-1/2 Tb. unsalted butter
1 quart canned peaches, drained
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (I used frozen)
1 t. ground cinnamon
powdered sugar, for dusting

In a blender, combine the eggs, the vanilla, and the 1/2 cup organic sugar. Blend until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, salt; blend until combined.

Preheat oven to 375F. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the drained peaches and raspberries. Let fruit come to a soft boil, stirring occasionally. There will be some juice from the peaches and raspberries, this is okay. Reduce heat to medium low; add cinnamon and remaining 1 Tb. sugar. Stir together and let cook for 2 more minutes.

Pour the egg batter over the fruit; let cook on stove for 2 minutes. Remove from stove and place in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until firm.

Remove from oven and let set for 1 minute before cutting into 8 pie-shaped servings. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

Maybe morning is my friend after all.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Cary Ann said...

Those sound delicious! I will have to try this out for my kiddies. Hope you have a wonderful Friday.