Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Breakfast Muffins


I cannot tell a lie.

I did NOT eat that miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

I ate three of them.

Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but there is something about the mixture of peanut butter and chocolate that catapults me into the land of giddiness.

In case you're wondering, it's next door to the land of denial, which I'm also well acquainted with.

Since January 1 and my doomed-for-failure resolutions, I have only consumed 3 of those little morsels of happiness. That's saying a lot when you consider that there was an entire pound of them left over from the holidays! But, I'm still a girl, and those cravings didn't end with Christmas.

Since I'm determined to cut the sugar consumption from my home to a bare minimum, it has become my mission to find ways to feed this peanut butter/chocolate addiction without resorting to secret meetings with Mr. Reese's. People might start to talk.

Because I consider myself an expert on the pairing of the nut and the bean, I can unequivocally confirm that these muffins are a winner.

And to make sure that it wasn't some kind of a fluke, I had 2.

You're welcome.☺

Peanut Butter Muffins

~The Players~
1 C. whole wheat or spelt flour (I use spelt)
1 C. rolled oats
1 T. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 C. natural peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
1/3 C. unsweetened applesauce
1-1/2 C. milk
1/4 C. honey
 *1 cup chocolate chips
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Add peanut butter and applesauce. Mix on low speed until smooth. (Unless you're using chunky peanut butter, then smooth is overrated.)

Stir in the milk and honey.

Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake at 350F. for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes approximately 20 muffins.

*1 cup of chocolate chips seemed like overkill, even for me, so the last time I made these, I dropped 5 chips into each muffin cup before baking.

Enjoy!

This post is linked to Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Kim, I'm your neighbor down in Yacolt (you left a comment on my blog). :) I'm going to put your p.b. muffins on my list for an upcoming Muffin Mondays if you don't mind (I'll include a link).
Blessings, Lisa

Wonderwoman said...

YOU are a GENIOUS! I love it when peanut butter and chocolate meet. I quit sugar 4 years ago and haven't had one of those little reese's demons since. Don't think that I don't think about them though! This recipe looks sinful and yet healthy at the same time. Thanks for another great recipe.

By the way...the Peach Kuchen recipe of yours was dee-lish-ous.

Kim said...

Lisa~I don't mind at all...can't wait to try some of yours, they look delish!

Wonderwoman~I'm so glad you liked the Kuchen...it's one of our favorite breakfasts! I think you'll like the PB muffins~they helped me "wean" away from Mr. Reese's!