Monday, November 28, 2011

"Practical" Gifts for the Homeschooling Mom


One of the questions that I start hearing this time of year is, "Mom, what do you want for Christmas?" Since it's apparent that my family does not pay me any attention when I'm oohing and aahing over every little piece of junk mail catalog eye candy, I thought I'd do a little tongue-in-cheek series on what Mom's really want.

Because apparently the highlighted, circled-in-red catalogs that I so meticulously placed in all of the high traffic areas of the house are not obvious enough.

Today, it's about The Homeschooling Mom.

~The 3-Ring Binder~

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a brand new, flaps intact binder, with the front still attached to the spine. Not only do I use these for school, they come in handy when I have to prop the edge of the table up to keep the dinner rolls from falling to the floor.

They also make me look smart.

Unless they're under the leg of the table. 

~A large box of red correcting pens~

When the kids start getting on my last nerve of the day, I pull out my trusty red pen (when I can find it!) and start correcting their math. Nothing strikes fear in the hearts of my children like the red correcting pen.

Especially when I ask them to please get me another one because I ran out of ink.☺


~A bullhorn~

"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?" 

Because "selective hearing" is NOT a recognized impairment.

No matter how many "signed" doctor's notes the kids produce.

~How-To Books~

Because if they see Mom swinging a hammer, or knockin' down a wall, she must be able to build treehouses.

In a 50 foot fir tree.

~Clear acrylic boxes...with lids~

These are to hold all the creepy crawlies that little boys find under front porch lights and have picked off of pick-up truck grills.

That may only be stunned.


And that they want to keep FOREVER.

~A Get Out Of Jail Free card~

And finally, a freebie that allows a do-over for a less-than-perfect parenting day.

Which really translates to this...





6 comments:

Misty said...

Those are great!!! I wish I'd had this list when I was still homeschooling. My son is 19 now and has already graduated. He just asked me the other day what I want for Christmas. I'm torn. I hate for him to spend his hard earned money since we teach that you're not supposed to "ask" for gifts. But, I also know how hard it is to buy for someone when you have no idea what they would like.

I've left the same catalogs with circled sizes and colors for my husband too and he will continue to ask me what I want. Crazy!!

I think I still need the FREE card though.

Bonnie K said...

Great post. I wish that is all one had to do for Christmas is just put out your wish list. It would make my shopping eaiser.

April's Homemaking said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog, and have given you a Liebster Blog Award :) You can check it out here: http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html

Amy Dingmann said...

Perfect list! And I had to laugh, because I think I have a kid who actually wants that tree fort building book! :) Funny post once again, my dear! I love the look of coffee on my computer screen. Means its gonna be a good day!

Kimberly said...

thanks for the laugh!

Candy C. said...

Great list, thanks for making us laugh!! :)