Tuesday, May 15, 2012

No Barn? No Problem!

On June 5, we will have lived in our current home for 10 years. Ten years of incredible views. Ten years of enough room to stretch our legs. Ten years of making this place our own. 

It's also been 10 years since we had a barn. And oh, how I've missed the barn. 

So we did what any homesteading, barn-dreaming, cattle owner would do.

We made our own. 

Actually, since this area had at one time been a place to feed cows, we decided to bring it back to its former glory. And because we have 2 cows due to give birth in just a few weeks, glory needed to happen now.

First we bladed off behind the already existing shop.

The soon-to-be barn area before the walls came tumblin' down.
 
I say "we" like I had anything to do with it. Really, it was my Mister and first-born man cub.


The pre-existing poop trough that used to be buried in grass and old hay.
Next we started tearing down walls. 


And this time, I really do mean "we."

Demolition is no excuse not to be a lady. That, and my jeans were on the clothesline.

Apparently, we're not the only ones celebrating 10 years in this place.


Somebody may have screamed like a girl when a little scamperer came scootin' out of the wall.

I don't like scamperer's.

We also tore down the inside walls that used to be a heated cabinet shop. 

We only build barn areas, not cabinets.


While I was busy gettin' er done,


my Mister was busy teaching the kids the importance of safety on the job.


I'm sure that's what he was doing.

We put our youngest to work pulling out nails, 


but he said he's union and demanded a break.

Canoeing in the drainage ditch.

In the ceiling next to the far wall, there is a hay chute.That seems like a pretty good place to start building the feed manger and stanchion's.
 

But we'll save that for another day.

We're pooped.



9 comments:

Rae said...

How exciting! I can't wait to have a barn, though after only a year and a half at our place, I envision another 8 and a half years before I get one. :)

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Love love love your chore skirt!

Mama Pea said...

What a huge undertaking! But looks like you've got an excellent crew on the job. There's nothing like a barn for homesteader/farmer type folks. Sure wish we had one! (It's on the list, but we all know how long the list can be!)

Candy C. said...

Hooray on a barn!! Can't wait to see it finished!
The "safety" picture cracked me up!!

Carolyn said...

Oh, to have a barn! Looks like you guys are well on your way though. Exhausting just looking at the demolition pictures.

Lisa said...

We've been in our place for six years now - does that mean we have to wait for four more years for our barn? Not that it would be a big one (only 2.5 acres here on our little farm). Necessity must be the mother of gettin' her done!

Love the skirt, Kim. :)

~Lisa

Mountain Home Quilts said...

A woman can do anything in a skirt! :)
I can't wait to see the rest of the progress. It looks great so far.

Kris said...

Oh my goodness, I just love the picture of the kids canooing in the drainage ditch! So cute. How far did they get?

And how's the barn building going? I want a real barn so bad. Looks like y'all have a lot of work ahead. Good luck. And have fun! Can't wait to see it all done with critters in it soon.

Kim said...

Kris~The drainage ditch is for our waterfall spring and is only about 12 feet long, so the babies went back and forth until Uncle Matt got tired!

We've almost got the drain field done. Next up is the mangers and stalls. We'll even have a calf/piglet room when it's done. I'm so excited! :)