Monday, May 7, 2012

the price of beauty



This time last year, I was still on restriction by the doctor following a surgery on my back. Sitting on the sidelines does not make me a  happy camper. I'm more of a put-me-in-coach-I'm-ready-to-play kind of gal. This spring, I'm making up for lost time.

Here's what I learned today...


1. Never underestimate the power of planning. Especially by a 16 year old boy who did his research.


Meet Uno, Dos, Tres, and Cuatro. According to Tanner's chart, they were right on time. We're still waiting on Cinco. We may change his name to Margin-of-Error.

2. I've learned to always assume that when the sun starts shining in the Pacific Northwest, something is bound to bloom. And a 3 year old will need to pick it.


Even if those pickings (which are my favorites!) make everyone's histamines go berserk.

3. I've learned that there is nothing better than new bark dust in the flowerbeds. After spending an entire afternoon pulling weeds, raking old maple leaves, and discovering all of the hidden places our dogs did their business over the winter, it was finally time to add the beauty bark.




I also learned the importance of a good pair of garden gloves. Especially when finding those hidden doggie places.

4. I learned that when beauty bark is applied, it tends to make other things look a little ragged. Did you notice the sign above? No?

How about now?


5. I learned that Boston Baked Beans should never, ever, ever be left in the oven for 5 hours when the recipe only calls for 2.

Unless one is bark dusting or touching up faded garden signs.


6. I also learned that canned, store-bought baked beans look an awful lot like homemade beans if placed in a dutch oven and heated in the oven.

And as a bark dusting junkie, I don't feel the least bit guilty about that at all.

Well, maybe just a little...☺


3 comments:

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

What a lovely patio area!

Lisa said...

Love lilacs, bark dust, and baked beans (and use the canned variety from time to time myself...).

Congrats on the chickies!

~Lisa

Candy C. said...

Wow, you learned a LOT!! Congrats on the peepers and I'll remember that about the baked beans! ;~)