Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gluten-free Spiced Oatmeal Cookies


Now that the weather has cooled, it's time to get back in the kitchen and start baking again. Baking has taken on a new set of challenges since my gluten allergy was diagnosed, but it is still one of my favorite things to do. One of the cookies that I have loved since I was a kid, is oatmeal cookies with raisins and cinnamon. Whenever I think of fall baking, I can't help but think of oatmeal cookies. My kids say they smell like an expensive candle.

I think they smell like Autumn.

And after a little tweaking of an old family recipe, I can do more than just smell them.

I can eat them too!☺

~Spiced Oatmeal Cookies~
 
~The Players~
*use organic, if possible*
 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup organic shortening (Tropical Traditions or Spectrum~but not Crisco!)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups *gluten-free flour blend (*see below)
3/4 t. xanthan gum
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. sea salt
3 cups gluten-free rolled oats (I use Bob's Redmill)
1 cup organic raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
 
 
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and shortening. Add the sugars and mix well. With the mixer still running on low, add the eggs and vanilla; mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
 
 
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour blend, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mix, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
 

Stir in the raisins and nuts until well incorporated.
 


Drop by rounded teaspoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet or a baking stone. (LOVE my baking stone!) Bake for 10-12 minutes until a light golden brown. (I found with a baking sheet I needed the full 12 minutes.) Do not over bake! Let them cool on the cookie sheet/baking stone for several minutes before removing and placing on a wire rack.
 
 
Pour yourself a glass of cold milk (or coffee!), grab a favorite book, and enjoy all that Autumn has to offer.

Especially the cookies.☺
 
*Gluten-free flour blend: 1 cup brown or white rice flour
2/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour/starch
 
Sift together. Store in a sealed container.
 
Makes 2 cups GF flour.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

These sound delicious!

Mama Pea said...

It MUST be the time of year. My daughter (she's 41!) just suggested I make Oatmeal Cookies. Yours look delish!

Anonymous said...

Winco now sells Gluten Free oats in their bulk section for $1.68 lb.

Susan :)

Kim said...

That just may entice me to visit Winco! Thanks Susan!