Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pennsylvania Dutch Baked Oatmeal

Most mornings I wake up and wonder what kind of a day it's going to be.

Before my first cup of coffee, it usually looks pretty dismal. After the second cup, things start looking up. By the end of the third cup, I'm ready to go. I guess you could say that I'm not a morning person. AT ALL.

Don't get me wrong, in my heart, morning is my favorite time of the day. But my body and mind just take a little longer to catch up.

Today, I loved morning. Or maybe it was breakfast. Since I'm not sure, maybe I'll make this baked oatmeal for dinner and see if it helps me enjoy the evening more.

Because I'm not really a night person either.

But that's better saved for another day. Maybe after a cup of coffee. Or perhaps some baked oatmeal.

Pennsylvania Dutch Baked Oatmeal

2 tart apples, cored and thinly sliced
2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup + 1 Tb. sucanat, divided
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
8 Tb. unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
2 t. baking powder
1 t. sea salt
3 cups rolled oats (Gluten-free rolled oats)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9x13" pan.

Layer the apple slices on the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon and 1 Tb. sucanat.


Combine butter, remaining sugar, and eggs in a medium bowl and mix until well blended. Stir in the milk.


Mix oatmeal, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.


Add oatmeal to milk mixture and stir until well combined.


Pour oatmeal over apple slices and spread evenly.

Bake for 30 minutes, until oatmeal begins to brown. Spoon into bowls and serve with milk and maple syrup or honey.

Serves 8.

*This is where I would normally post a picture of the finished product. Today, there is none. In my defense...1. It was morning. 2. I had 3 cups of coffee. 3. This made me giddy and I forgot to take the picture before we had eaten it all.

Please forgive me for my weakness.
For more real food recipes, check out Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop!

6 comments:

Anita said...

Kim, now that is gorgeous;) I'm drooling. Breakfast is lookin' good. The kids will love me....
I'm so going to make this.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Wish we lived closer so I could come over in the morning and share! :)

Anonymous said...

oh yum! my family would love this. I make a baked oatmeal for breakfast sometimes with craisins, nuts, coconut, basically anything I can find to throw in and they love it.

But what is sucanut? is it a type of sugar? I've never heard of it. Can regular sugar be substituted?

Karen Bannan @ NaturalAsPossibleMom said...

OMG. This looks heavenly. I am trying to get my baby to gain weight. This looks like it would do the trick!

Thanks for the recipe!

Kim said...

Lisa, Sucanat is a natural sugar that is also known as Rapadura. It is the least processed sugar and still has some minerals in it. Regular sugar can also be used, but you may have to play around with the quantity.

Heather, me too!

You can also use peaches or berries in place of apples!

Kris said...

Kim, that looks SOOO good. I am going to make it next time I have my parents and grands all here. Maybe. I might just make it when they aren't here. Hmmm...

Kris