Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Birthday, Easter, and a Meal Plan


It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of an era.

My baby is turning 11. 

Uncle Matthew and baby Emily Jane

For 10 years, Matthew has been the "baby" of the family. But with the passing of another year, I've been informed that he is officially a tweener and would appreciate being treated as such.

That means, "No more calling me the baby, mom!"

Then he begins his next sentence with, "Momma..."

This is going to be one long week. For everybody.

In honor of the tweener, I am making some of his favorite meals this week. Mostly it is just so I can hear him say "Thank you Momma", before crawling up on my lap, tucking his when-did-they-get-so-long legs underneath, to snuggle. But some if it is to appease my guilt. I've been in denial for the last 43 days, which is exactly how long Matthew has been counting down to his special day, and have refused to go birthday shopping for him. Not that I won't, but I'm just not ready.

Really, his birthday is less about him and more about me and my needs.

I need to him to stay the baby! 

In other news, our chickens have been dropping eggs left and right. We let our chickens out every morning to free range and every evening we have egg hunts. The hay pile is a favorite place, but so is the bushes, woods, under the coop, in the stickers....well, you get my point. They are everywhere! Just this morning, in the coop, we got 17. That's before the hunt.

Any ideas as to what's on the menu?

Here's what's cookin' this week...

~Monday~
Scrambled eggs & bacon
Toasted cheese on sourdough, tangerines

~Tuesday~
Egg & sausage burritos (with cheese, salsa, and corn tortillas)
Tuna salad on sourdough, bananas

~Wednesday~
Poached eggs over toast
Chili nachos
Baked ham, Macaroni & Cheese, green beans

~Thursday~
Shredded, barbequed beef sandwiches, coleslaw

~Friday~
Ham & Swiss Strata (new)
Creamy Tomato Soup, cheese & crackers
Buttermilk Fried Chicken, GF pasta salad, carrot sticks

~Saturday~
~Sunday~
Granola
~Easter dinner~
Grass-fed Prime Rib
Organic Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Roasted Asparagus
Ambrosia
Angel Eggs
Angel Food Cake w/ Strawberries and fresh whipped cream

For more meal planning ideas, visit Menu Mondays at Organizing Junkie.





1 comment:

momma-lana said...

Our baby turned 20, 3 weeks ago. I had a hard time with that one as to me 20 is an adult age and she is no longer a kid. :(