Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thai Cashew Chicken



I doubt there is an ethnicity of food that I love more than Thai. And I'm not alone in my love of Thai food. Some of my children love Pad Thai, while others prefer Cashew Chicken. My Mister and I have a fondness for Peanut Curry and anything with ginger.


Here's the problem. It's expensive to take out the family. A typical meal out for the remaining 8 of us, runs around $70/meal. That's almost my entire food budget for the week!


Then there's that whole conscience part of it. That nagging little voice in the back of the head that says, "You watched "Food, Inc.", so why are you eating feedlot cows and chickens that have never breathed fresh air?"


Sometimes I really hate that voice.


This recipe is from my sister-in-law, Malish, who like me, loves Thai!



Thai Cashew Chicken

1 lb. boneless chicken, thinly sliced (breasts or thighs work great!)
2 Tb. toasted sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb. fish sauce (found in Asian section of grocery store)
2 Tb. oyster sauce (found near the fish sauce!)
2 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Dash pepper
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4-1/2 t. dried red pepper flakes (start low, you can always add more)
4 green onions, cut in 2" slices
1/2-1 cup water

Mix fish and oyster sauce, garlic, sugar, pepper, and cornstarch. Marinate chicken in sauce for 30 minutes.


Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Saute cashews and red pepper flakes until nuts are toasted. Drain and set aside, leaving oil.



Increasing the heat to high, and add marinated meat and water. Cook until chicken is done. Add more water as needed for desired consistency. (I usually use the whole cup.) Add green onions and nut mixture. Mix and cook for about 2 minutes. Serve over rice.

Serves 4.

Of course, we double it!

Enjoy!





2 comments:

Cindy said...

All of your meals look so good. What a blessing you are to your family and your blog community for your great ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! And I'm also having a hard time looking at food the same since watching Food Inc. :)

Amy