Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Toe-warmin' Chili

There are only 2 recipes that I make on Sunday's during the fall/winter months. One is stew, the other is chili. Last week found me measuring and writing while putting together the stew because I don't really "follow" a recipe. If it's in the refrigerator and needs to be used, it goes in the pot. If I find an onion swimming around in the banana's "bowl of death", it goes in the pot. And if the pot isn't full enough, I go on a scavenger hunt, in search of other food items to throw in the pot. For whatever reason, this usually works for me! But for chili...why mess with perfection? Betty Crocker knew what she was doing! Mostly. I had to help her with the rest. She'll thank me for it later.

Toe-Warmin' Chili

2 lbs. ground beef
2 large sweet onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb. chili powder
2 t. sea salt
2 t. ground cumin
2 t. dried oregano leaves
2 t. baking cocoa
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 -1 t. red pepper sauce (more or less, depending on your tastes)
1 quart stewed tomatoes
2 quarts canned kidney or pinto beans (or the equivalent of), undrained

Cook ground beef, onion and garlic together until beef is cooked; drain. Dump in crockpot. Add the remaining ingredients to the crockpot. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. Serve with cheese and sour cream.
Great with tortilla chips or cornbread! Even greater...leftovers tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM..chili and I am very intrigued by the addition of cocoa in your recipe. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for posting :)

Blessings!
Gail

Lorrie said...

Thank you so much for posting a comment at Natural On A Budget. From what I can see you have a lot you could teach me.
My husband and I dream of someday buying some land and raising our own food. Maybe someday.