Friday, May 13, 2011

Peach Melba Smoothies


In an attempt to clean out our freezers before this summer's harvest, I've been making a lot of smoothies.

When I say a lot, I really mean that most of our meals can be consumed through a straw. Including that Mexican lasagna I made the other night, but that's a meal that I'm not ready to relive.

You'll thank me for it.

See, not every meal that is made in our home is a success. There are those meals that try as I might, end up in the chicken compost bucket. My most recent flop was a prime rib roast that failed to cook after 7 hours in the oven. (It will be making its reappearance in the crockpot with some barbecue sauce this Sunday.) When those little mishaps happen, I need a backup plan.

 Our usual smoothie consists of frozen plums, strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Because we have them so often, I am now officially out of everything but blueberries. (I actually think the little buggers have been multiplying!) What I seem to have an abundance of is frozen peaches and raspberries that are squished together and covered in ice crystals. By themselves~not so impressive.

But together, they're magic.

I may need to be more purposeful in my kitchen disasters.

~Peach Melba Smoothies~


~The Players~
1 cup whole milk yogurt (I use Nancy's Organic)
1 Tb. coconut oil
1 Tb. flaxseed oil
1 Tb. 100% frozen orange juice concentrate
1 Tb. raw honey
1 cup frozen peaches
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 cup (more or less) milk (I use raw.)

Put ingredients into blender. Blend on high until smooth. Add more milk if needed. (If you need to smoosh everything down, use a wooden spoon...after the blender is turned off. Trust me.)


Pour smoothies into glasses. Add straws.


Enjoy!

This recipe makes 3 good-sized servings.

2 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Yes. Please don't stick a plastic serving spoon in the blender while its running. Trust me, too..... *innocent whistle*

momma-lana said...

BUT you can keep the kids busy picking bits of wood off their tongues while they drink the smoothies! Hmmmm, hmmm, hmmm.........