Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Raspberry Cheesecake French Toast

Recently, my youngest son gave me the highest compliment a boy can give his momma.
 
"You should cook for money!"
 
I'm so relieved he didn't see me dancing around the kitchen prior to his arrival. Our conversation could've gone in an entirely different direction.
 
But you know something is good if your 11 year old son is willing to share with others.
 
Warning: While this is not a low-carb breakfast, it will cause uncontrollable smiles around the entire breakfast table.
 
Consider yourself warned.☺
 
~Raspberry Cheesecake French Toast~
 

~The Players~

16 slices of bread (I used homemade sourdough bread)
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
4 Tb. raspberry freezer jam (or jam of your choice)
4 Tb. powdered sugar (or sucanat blended until very fine)
4 eggs
1 cup half & half
2 t. pure vanilla extract


In a small mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add jam and mix until well incorporated.
 

Make sure to thoroughly lick all of your fingers before proceeding.

Trust me.

Using a wire whisk, gently whisk together the eggs and the half & half.


Add vanilla.


Set aside.

Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over 8 slices of bread. Place remaining slices on top to form sandwiches.


 
Melt 2 Tb. butter or coconut oil in large cast iron frying pan or a griddle.
 
Dip sandwiches into egg mixture; make sure to cover both sides completely. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
 
Serve with additional powdered sugar, grade B maple syrup, or more jam.
 
Serves 8.
 
Enjoy!
 

1 comment:

Susan said...

This looks and sounds wonderful!
I make stuffed french toast once in a blue moon with mascarpone cheese and fresh orange zest. Its yummy too. Your sourdough bread looks great. I have a great sour dough start that was given to me and have tried my hand at making bread with it but its not as light and airy as I want it to be. I have an old Amish recipe for extra sourdough bread but I haven't tried it yet. You have to let the start sit out for 48 hours I think.
Blessings