Monday, February 20, 2012

Gluten-Free Biscuit Love

Moment of truth.

I miss bread.

I've even considered replacing my children's wall photos with framed pictures of french bread, cinnamon rolls and hot dog buns. I dream of brioche, ciabatta, focaccia, and baguette's. I want to bathe in sourdough and moisturize with pounds of butter.

It's disturbing, I know.

So while my family was busy guarding their photos and hiding the butter, I got busy looking for a gluten free quick-bread that would satisfy my need for some loafy goodness. I found a couple of different recipes that were either too flaky (meaning they fell apart before adding the butter), or they tasted like dirty socks. 

Not that I've ever tasted socks, mind you.

Just when I had resigned myself to never having a sandwich again, I stumbled upon this little gem. The original batch made 10 biscuits, and over the course of 3 days, I ate them all. By myself. I worried that they were only delicious because I was so desperate, so I made them again. And this time I shared. 

You know you've hit the big time when your daughters copy the recipe into their own personal Family Recipes book.

Even if it wasn't technically a family recipe until then.☺

~Easy Peasy GF Biscuits~
(adapted from "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook")

~The Players~
2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. xanthan gum
3/4 t. sea salt
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter
3/4 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 425 F. 

Combine the brown rice and tapioca flours, baking powder, xanthan gum, and sea salt in a large bowl.

Add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture until crumbly.

Slowly add the milk, stirring with a wooden spoon as you pour. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until ingredients are just combined. 

My new rolling pin made by my brother-in-law, Brian. I LOVE it!!!
Roll out dough until about 1/2-inch thick. These won't rise much, so don't go any thinner. Use a biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out the biscuits. 

Place on an ungreased cookie sheet (line with parchment paper, if desired), or a baking stone. The biscuits won't spread, so they can be placed fairly close together.

These were rolled a little too thin, but they were still delish!

Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until done. Serve with butter, jam, honey, nut butter, meat...

Or slap two of 'em together and call it a sandwich.☺

Enjoy!


4 comments:

SweetLand Farm said...

Ever heard of Splet flour? It's gluten free. Just a thought, so you can eat bread!

Candy C. said...

I will pass this recipe along to my girlfriend who is gluten intolerant! Thanks! :)

Lisa said...

I did no grains years ago when I was on a no-carb diet after the birth of my youngest (and a 40 pd. weight gain -- yikes!), but I've never been allergic to them. So glad you've found a substitute that you enjoy!

~Lisa :)

Kim said...

Oh how I wish spelt was gluten-free, but sadly I found that it is not. :( Wish I would've known that before I bought 50#'s of it!