Thursday, February 16, 2012

it's that time of year...


While the rain continues to rat-a-tat-tat against my windows, I've been busy gardening.

Okay, my gardening doesn't require dirt quite yet, but in my mind and on paper, it's a beautiful garden.

And it doesn't care that the rain continues on.

And on...

And on...

The sun may not come out tomorrow, but when it does, I'll be ready.

Here's a list of what's going in the veggie garden this year~


Green Beans~Old Homestead (Kentucky Wonder Pole)
Blue Lake Bush

Beets~Bull's Blood

Cabbage~Glory of Enkhuizen (kraut cabbage)

Carrots~Little Finger
St. Valery

Cucumbers~Parisian Pickling (for sweet pickles)
pickling cukes (to be determined)

Kohlrabi~Early Purple Vienna

Kale~Blue Curled Scotch


 Lettuces~Forellenschluss
Amish Deer Tongue
Cimmaron
Black Seeded Simpson

Onions~Tokyo Long-White Bunching
Bianca Di Maggio
Walla Walla Sweets

Garden Peas~Alaska

Snap/Snow Peas~Mammoth Melting Sugar


Hot Peppers~Anaheim
Jalapeno/Craig's Grande

Sweet Peppers~Lipstick
Italian Pepperoncini
Sweet Chocolate
Orange Bell

Spinach~Bloomsdale Long Standing
New Zealand

Summer Squash~Marina di Chioggia
Crooknecks
Zucchini/Black Beauty


Squash/Pumpkins~Butternut Rogosa Violina "Gioia"
Sweet Dumplings
Acorn (to be determined)
Sugar Pie Pumpkins

Swiss Chard~Five Color Silverbeet


Tomatoes~Green Zebra
Arkansas Traveler
Cherokee Purple
Violet Jasper
Amish Paste
Jersey Giant
Riesentraube
Beefsteak
Striped Roman
Morning Sun

Turnips~Ideal Purple Top Milan


And just in case Summer decides to drag it's feet, we're busy prepping for Plan B.

A 24' x 14' hoophouse on the south-facing side of our home.

Which will also double as a clothesline when Winter drags it's feet!

Not that any of us Pacific Northwester's would know anything about that...☺

(My favorite seed company is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.)





5 comments:

Clint Baker said...

Yes it is getting ready to start. I was looking over my seeds and the ones that I am giving away on my blog give away and I am just so ready to start planting. Happy gardening!

Candy C. said...

What a great garden you have planned! I love Baker Creek too, great seeds and beautiful catalog! :)

Unknown said...

WOW! That's quite the list. I know last summer was a bust for our garden...we got next to NOTHING. I'm praying that this summer is better. Working in the greenhouse this weekend, can't wait. :)

SweetLand Farm said...

Sounds like your planting quite a garden. I look forward to seeing pictures of it.
I love planning our garden and picking out what we will plant. Something to look forward to during the long winter months up north.

hoosier girl said...

Bring on the gardens!! I love hearing about your area, it's almost like a different country!