Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Peanutty Thai Chicken


It is no secret that I love peanut butter. I especially love it in Asian cooking. There is something so mesmerizing about the combination of peanuts, chicken, lime, red peppers, and tamari sauce that makes my toes curl. Throw in some ginger and cilantro, and I'm singing songs from "Mama Mia", and swinging from the chandelier. 

Well, I would if I had a chandelier.

When the allergist told me that I was allergic to chicken and peanuts, I went into a deep depression. And by deep, I mean I started writing songs of my lost love. And by writing, I really mean I reworded other people's work.

Sue me. I was sad.

 ♫Peanut Chicken, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Peanut chicken, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Peanut Chicken, now I really know,
My my, I could never let you go.♫

 Thankfully, chicken and peanuts were not the problem. Thankfully, I found another recipe that meshes my favorite flavors together.
Thankfully, my family won't have to listen to me massacre Abba songs anymore.☺

~Peanutty Thai Chicken~
(adapted from "The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth)
Use organic ingredients if possible.
  
~The Players~
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup chicken broth (or homemade stock)
1/2 cup low-sodium tamari sauce
zest and juice of 2 limes, separated
2 Tb. rice wine vinegar
8 cloves garlic, minced
2-inch chunk peeled fresh ginger
2 Tb. honey
1 t. red pepper flakes
2 sweet onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
2-3 lbs. skinned chicken pieces (I used breasts and thighs.)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (more if desired)
sea salt, to taste 
Optional: roasted chopped peanuts for garnish
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the peanut butter, broth, tamari, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey, and red pepper flakes. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, and set aside.

 
Place chicken in the crock pot. Pour peanut sauce over the chicken.


Sprinkle the lime zest on top.


Add the onion and bell pepper. 


Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool enough to handle. Using forks or fingers, shred the chicken, and remove any bones. Add the chicken back to the crock pot. Stir in chopped cilantro and season with sea salt before serving. Serve over rice or bean sprouts. Garnish with chopped peanuts if desired.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

That looks so, so yummy! I'm a big fan of peanut sauce too...hubby, not so much. :(

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Looks amazing! I must try. Thanks for all the great pics too