Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Spiced Pickled Beets


To say that I love pickled beets would be an understatement. I could devour an entire jar by myself and not feel an ounce of guilt for those that missed out.

I know this, because I have. Oops.

This recipe is from my Mister's grandmother, who passed along the recipe to me shortly before she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Getting a recipe from Grandma Barbara was more than just a score for the recipe book.

It meant that she liked you.

~Spiced Pickled Beets~
 
~The Players~
 
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 t. ground cloves
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground allspice
fresh beets, greens removed
 
Wash the beets. Place in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until beets are soft, but not mushy. Remove from stove and place beets in sink full of iced water to remove skins.
 
Heather & Mandie at the end of peeling 25#'s of beets~I'm thinking about getting another 25#'s just for Heather!☺
 
 In a separate pot, mix together the sugar, water, vinegar, and spices. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until ready to use.
 
Cut large beets in half, then quarter. Small beets can remain whole or be halved. Place beets in wide mouth jars. Pour hot brine over beets (leave an inch of headspace) and use a butter knife to remove air bubbles. Add more brine if necessary to cover beets. Wipe rims and place 2-piece canning lid/ring on jars.
 
Process in hot water bath canner; 20 minutes for pints, 30 minutes for quarts. 
 
Remove from canner and allow to cool for 12 hours before removing rings and storing.

This post is linked to Laura Williams' Musings: Carnival of Home Preserving.
 
 

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I feel the same way about pickled beets! When I knew we were going to let the garden lie fallow last year (2011), I made so many pickled beets in 2010 (sure didn't want to run out!) that I planted only enough beets this year (back into gardening full force) to have "fresh" ones for my favorite roasted veggie casserole. I know many people don't like beets in any shape or form, but we love 'em!

momma-lana said...

hahahaha! I thought it was only my children who tongues are always out in pictures!

Kris said...

Yum! I LOVE beets any way but pickled are so good. I have made fermented beets and they are my favorites. But I will have to try your recipe now. Can I borrow your girls though? Please? They look like such good fun workers and like they need more beets to peel and cut up.

Candy C. said...

How could you NOT eat the whole jar?!? ;-)

Kim said...

You can't...it is impossible to not eat the entire jar. Or jars. Depending on the day...;)

Anonymous said...

My hubby loves pickled beets. I put a few jars this year for him. I didn't make but a very few jars (less than 5) to be sure he liked the ones I made as it was the first time making and he's already ate all the jars. lol Guess he liked them. I have to make more now. Those beets better hurry up in the garden.


Thanks for sharing this at the Carnival of Home Preserving!