Friday, April 16, 2010

Whole Foods and a Confession...or Two!

Even though we're a "whole foods" family, not everything we consume would be considered healthy.

Confession #1: I had a chocolate/peanut butter frappuccino today. With real peanut butter. And it was good. I didn't even feel guilty about it. I am sure that I burned off the calories pulling a very full wagon around the garden center.

Confession #2: My college-aged children brought me home a chocolate/peanut butter frappuccino this afternoon. With real peanut butter. And it was good. This time however, there is guilt. Tremendous guilt.

What is a mother to do when her children present her with such a gift? It would've been rude to deny them the obvious pleasure that they received, delivering to me that sin in a cup. What could it have done to their psyche? To their developing, yet still fragile self-esteems?

It is because I love them and desire them to go into adulthood with the utmost confidence that I accepted that second cup. It is also why I am in stretchy pants right now. And why I will have to spend a little extra time on the treadmill this weekend. (I'm still in denial that I can burn off the extra calories just by sneezing.)(Don't judge me. It's my fantasy.)

Most of the time we eat whole foods. Here is how the rest of the day went.

Strawberry/Peach Slushies...I didn't have anymore frozen strawberries (What will we do for the next 8 weeks or so?), so I substituted marionberries for the strawberries and used organic maple syrup instead of stevia drops. It may not have peanut butter in it, but it was still wonderful!




During the making of these, I had to interrupt with a kitchen/homeschool lesson.

DO NOT PUT A WOODEN SPOON INTO THE BLENDER WHILE IT IS RUNNING!

EVER.

Good thing it was bamboo...pandas love this stuff!



For dinner, we had beyond organic, grass fed, grilled burgers with a Garlic Potato Salad and home-canned applesauce. We sweetened it with maple syrup and added some cinnamon for kicks. (Recipes are below.)




Juicy, Grilled Burgers

2 lbs. organic ground beef
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. onion powder
1 Tb. dried parsley
1 t. sea salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 piece sourdough bread, ground fine
1/4 cup milk

Using your hands, mix together. Shape into thick patties. Grill until just done. Do not overcook!


Garlic Potato Salad
(adapted from Simply in Season)

6 cups new potatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup green onions, diced fine
3 hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup EVOO
2 Tb. balsamic vinegar
2 t. fresh rosemary, minced
sea salt & pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Mix everything in bowl. Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.

2 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

mmmmmmm... now I have to go make my kefir shake- that smoothy looked yummy!

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Or a plastic spoon. In the blender you know.... while it's running.....

Ask me how I know..... or don't.