Monday, July 12, 2010

MPM 7/12/10

I've decided that I'm not a fan of heatwaves.

With highs nearing 100 degrees, it made any kitchen time next to impossible last week.

So I did the unthinkable.

I bought bread.

For me, that's almost as bad as forgetting to feed the cat.

We had a surprise chicken meal towards the end of the week. I don't know if that chicken was the tastiest chicken ever because we know how to grow them, or if it was more a revenge kind tasty.

I almost don't recognize myself.

And it all started with the bread.

This week, we're back to a normal Pacific Northwest summer. Clouds in the morning, sun in the afternoon, highs nearing 80, and me, back in the kitchen. My plan is to stock up on some freezer bread, make granola, pick/freeze blueberries, raspberries and marionberries, and make a large batch of homemade barbecue sauce.

Outside chores this week include; finishing the turkey yard, building a goat pen and house (at least starting it!), replanting beet, spinach, carrot and kohlrabi seeds, and getting started on our firewood. We are also beginning a major remodel on our house and will be starting the demolition process next weekend.

At times like these, a menu plan is very important for me. Since our use of processed foods is at a minimum, food preparation takes time. Something that I always seem to be short of. I plan on making double batches of everything this week and putting the extras in the freezer so during the height of busy-ness, I'm not making emergency trips to the bread store.

Here's what's cookin' this week...

~Monday~
Granola
Sprouted linguine, Crockpot Pasta Sauce (new), farmer's market salad

~Tuesday~
Soaked oatmeal w/blueberries
Chicken Pot Pie (new), farmer's market salad

~Wednesday~
Granola w/vanilla yogurt
Thai Cashew Chicken, jasmine rice, green peas

~Thursday~
Scrambled eggs, toast
Beef Stroganoff (new), stir-fried green beans & garlic

~Friday~
Cheese Tortellini Pesto Salad, grilled sourdough bread

~Saturday~
Granola
Lazy Chili Rellenos, corn tortillas, Black bean & Corn salad (new)

~Sunday~
Granola
Grilled burgers, tortilla chips, guacamole

For lunches this week, we'll be relying on sandwiches, smoothies and leftovers.


Head on over to The Organizing Junkies Menu Plan Monday for more menu ideas!





3 comments:

Jennie said...

I hope you stay cool! It's so hard to muster up the energy for good home cooked meals when it's hot!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

SO your chicken turned out good? How did you cook it? How old of a hen was it?

Kim said...

Heather, the chicken turned out GREAT!!!! I wasn't sure how old she was, so I slow cooked her in the crockpot. She was one of the hens we got last summer...not barren either! In fact, we found a whole egg and 3 yolks of different sizes. I felt bad, but once they start cannabilizing their own, they usually don't stop, so she had to go. Delicious!