Monday, January 10, 2011

Roasted Pork Loin


Fact: My life is semi-organized chaos.

Fact: I am too busy to make it completely organized.

The reality is that I cut corners wherever and whenever possible. I don't like to do things twice, nor do I like to waste steps. One way to cut wasted time from my day is to cook more than we need for one meal. In this case, it's about the pig. Specifically, pork loin.

One 3-4 lb. pork loin roast can last for several days around here. In fact, I can make 2 very different dinners with it and we can enjoy the leftovers for lunch over 2 or 3 days.

I'm going to share with you a recipe that I found in the book, "Eat Fat, Lose Fat". I've adapted it from its original version, as it called for leg of lamb, but if you like lamb and can afford it (YIKES!), feel free to use that instead. Personally, we used to raise sheep for the sole purpose of having our own fresh lamb. After watching their births, spending hours holding them, and watching my kids take naps with them in the front yard, butchering day was NOT a happy occasion. In fact, I am sorry to say, we were lousy sheep farmers. We only butchered one lamb, then didn't have the heart to eat it.

But, if you like that kind of stuff, knock yourself out. I won't judge you.

Baaaaaa.....

Except for a lapse in judgement in which we became the rather frustrated owners of a pot-bellied pig named Rosie, we've never been pig farmers.

So, I'm sticking with the pork.

Roasted Pork Loin with Root Vegetables~Day 1
~adapted from Eat Fat, Lose Fat~


The Players

3 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
1 onion, sliced
3-4 lb. pork loin roast
6 Tb. melted butter
3 Tb. Dijon mustard
1 t. dried rosemary, thyme or tarragon
6 new potatoes, cut in halves or quarters (depending on size)
4-5 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
3 turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup white wine (whatever you like)
3-4 cups beef stock
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350F. Place peeled garlic and slices of onion on bottom of roasting pan. Lay pork loin on top of onions, fat side up. Thoroughly mix melted butter and Dijon together and brush on roast.

Here's where I deviated from the recipe. It called for 3 Tb. melted butter mixed with Dijon, saving the remaining 3 Tb. butter to brush over the vegetables. Since there is a sauce that is poured over the entire dish, I decided the butter was better utilized during the baking process.

That, and I messed up. But I digress...

 Sprinkle herbs on top. Cover with lid or foil and place in oven. Roast until pork temperature reaches 145-160 when a thermometer is inserted in the center. About an hour before roast is done, add the potatoes, carrots and turnips. Mix them into the juices and put back in the oven.


When the roast reaches desired temperature, remove roast and set on platter, keeping it warm while finishing potatoes and sauce. Stir the vegetables into the juice and bake a few minutes more, or until potatoes are done. Slice the roast, leaving it on the platter. Remove vegetables from pan and place around sliced roast. Use a slotted spoon to keep extra juice in pan. 

In the roasting pan or a cast-iron skillet, mix wine and stock with juices from the pan. 


Bring to a rapid boil, stirring with a wire whisk or wooden spoon. Boil until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, skimming occasionally. Season with salt. Pour over entire platter, making sure to include vegetables.

Tomorrow, I'll share the recipe for using the leftover meat. I'll shall call it Day 2.

I know. That took a lot of thought.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Thanks, Kim. That looks so good. I got my 2 piggies Sat. and cannot wait to have my own pork in the freezer again. They are cute and the grands love them. But I said they will be SO much cuter in the freezer. And taste so much better too. They love any kind of pork. SO they are ok with it. But I am going to copy that recipe and make it soon. Yum!