Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gratituesday...Teachable Moments and a Sale!



Yesterday, while grocery shopping, I had a strange encounter with the checker. He was too young to be considered a "man", but not young enough to be called a "boy".

Just somewhere in between.

I think that that's where the term, "Ignorance is bliss" comes from.

Here's how our conversation went.

"I can't believe you spent that much money and didn't even buy meat! Are you a vegetarian or something?"

"Not hardly. We raise our own beef and my husband hunts. Sometimes we even raise our own poultry."

"Now why would you do something like that? You tellin' me that you eat your pets?"

"Well, it's not like we're eating our dog or anything!"

"That's just weird."

"Well, are you a vegetarian?"

"Not a chance."

"Don't you realize that your meat comes from animals that were once alive?"

"I don't think like that."

"Why not?"

"Cuz' that's just weird. Where do you live anyway?"

"Apparently too far in the woods."

"Do you eat squirrel?"

"No, but after we peel them off the road, my sons like to make life-like puppets out of them."

"Gross."

"Just kidding."

"You're just weird."

"Nice talking to you."

"See ya next week Mrs. J."

This is the super-condensed version. The actual conversation took about 10 minutes. He was closing out his line so he could go to lunch. I was surprised that this seemingly intelligent man-child didn't realize where his cheeseburger came from! How could he not know?

I don't live so far out in the boonies that we wear coon skin hats and carry firearms on our backs! My shoes are not made from deer hide that we've tanned ourselves. I am a normal person.

Unless that is another delusion.

And I didn't know if I should be offended or not.

Then it hit me.

I'm a teacher. My job is to teach. Usually it's just my tribe and a couple of spares, but sometimes there are teachable moments with total strangers. While I'm sure that this young man isn't about to go out and round up his own herd of cattle, I did give him some food for thought.

That oughta keep him busy for awhile, or at least until he finishes his $12.00 burger.

I can retire now, my job is done.

On another note, Tropical Traditions is having an amazing sale on their premium coconut oil. For $99.00, you will receive 2 gallons of the good stuff! The regular price for the 2 would be $220.00. That's a savings of $121.00! Hurry though...the sale ends Thursday!

Not bad. And I didn't have to hitch up the horses or reload the rifles for the long trip to town.

Because that's what weird "hicks" do.



No comments: