Sunday, October 10, 2010

Simple Soaked Oatmeal

Columbia River in October
 Greetings from the southern Oregon coast! We are currently enjoying some much-needed time with our granddaughter, Maddie, and are getting ready to celebrate her second birthday.

From here, we will be home for a couple of days, before leaving for parts unknown.

Otherwise known as hunting season.

This is when men wander aimlessly through forests, rifle in hand, smelling like they rolled in cat litter and expecting to bag the biggest buck. This year, our 4 youngest children and I are going.

We're there to keep it real. 'Cause that's how we roll.

And I always had a thing for Elmer Fudd.

Because of our life on the road this week, there will be no meal plan. We will be "winging it". This method doesn't work very well, but I need to make sure that everyone has enough underwear and socks.

Yep, the only thing I need is the dutch oven. And some taters. Maybe some eggs. And ketchup. Milk would be good. Probably some cheese...hmmm...I guess there should be a meal plan after all. I'll have to think on this one a little longer though...

In the meantime, one thing that will be a certainty is oatmeal. During the colder months, we have oatmeal quite often. In fact, we purchase 50 lbs. of organic rolled oats at a time. The biggest complaint I've heard about oatmeal is that is can cause "intestinal distress".

Otherwise known as gas.

Soaking oatmeal helps to pre-digest the oats, making it easier on the digestive system. I've tried it. It works. And it's delicious.

Did I mention that it's cheap too?

~Simple Soaked Oatmeal~ 
The Nourishing Traditions Way


2 cups organic, rolled oats (certified gluten-free)
2 cups lukewarm water
4 Tb. whole milk, plain yogurt
1 t. sea salt
2 cups cold water
flaxseeds, soaked/toasted almonds, dried fruit, fresh/frozen berries, cinnamon, butter, maple syrup

The night before, soak oats in 2 cups lukewarm water. Stir in yogurt.

Cover with a cloth and let sit on the counter overnight.

The next morning, bring 2 cups water to boil with sea salt. Add oat/yogurt mixture and stir well. Place a lid on the pot and turn burner down to simmer. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Serve with real maple syrup, berries, butter, cinnamon and milk or cream. (Or nuts/fruit of your choice!)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tia said...

Oh my goodness! Oatmeal! I remember eating this when I lived at home.... we definately packed away some oats..

Shannon said...

The yogurt doesn't spoil overnight?

Kim said...

Shannon~No, it doesn't. My best guess is because the yogurt is already cultured. This is still my favorite breakfast!