Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cornmeal Flapjacks & Lumberjack Prune Sauce



As a self-proclaimed French toast aficionado, I'm always looking for a good pancake recipe to tip me  towards the other side. It's a rare moment when that happens. But, over the last year, we've enjoyed Oatmeal Buttermilk Cinnamon Pancakes, Speltcakes, Sourdough Pancakes, and a boxed mix called Kodiak. On those rare occasions, if given the choice, I would choose the pancakes over the French toast. 

That is just killing me to admit.

When I found this recipe for Cornmeal Flapjacks, I decided to give it a chance, all the while dreaming of my toast from France.

But then I tried it.

I've come to the conclusion that France is overrated.

By themselves, these are awesome. With the Prune Sauce, they are over the moon.

And this is coming from a girl who is not a lover of prunes.

I made this recipe with organic white flour, but next time will use spelt flour and soak it overnight in the buttermilk. (This process helps to unlock the minerals and improve digestion by neutralizing phytates and enzyme inhibitors.) 

Our pancake favorites list has officially grown to 5.

 Sorry France.  

Cornmeal Flapjacks

1-1/2 cups organic flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 Tb. organic sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tb. melted butter

Sift together dry ingredients. (If soaking, start the night before. Mix flour with buttermilk, cover and let set on counter overnight. In the morning, give it a stir, then continue adding the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly.)

Mix eggs, butter and buttermilk together. (Just eggs and butter if soaked overnight.)


Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.

Heat griddle. Brush griddle with coconut oil or butter. Fry lightly until bubbles appear and flip over. Cook until golden brown. Serve with Prune Sauce or maple syrup. (We like cultured sour cream too!)

Serves 4. 

Lumberjack Prune Sauce

1-1/2 cup water
1 cup dried prunes, chopped
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. ground allspice
2 Tb. brown sugar (I used Rapadura. Sucanat works too.)

In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

*This will thicken as it cooks. It would also be wonderful on top of homemade vanilla ice cream.

Guess I'm more of a prune lover than I thought.

Enjoy!



No comments: