Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Black Bean & Sausage Soup



I love soup. Almost as much as I love chocolate.

Almost.

Since I can't survive on chocolate alone...and let me tell you, I have tried...soup is the next best thing to perfection. It feeds the soul and lifts the spirit. Soup can mend a broken heart and cure the common cold. Just ask any grandmother.

Speaking of grandmother's...my daughter, Tia, just called to inform me that on Monday, my 1st grandson will be making his appearance! But more about that next week...

Where was I? Oh...ask any grandmother. I'm a grandmother. (*happy dance*) Just ask me.

Soup is good.

This one is great. Just take it from this grandma!


Black Bean & Sausage Soup

2 lbs. dried black beans
2 lbs. beef kielbasa, cut into bite-sized chucks
3 quarts organic vegetable broth (or homemade)
2-3 cups carrots, shredded
1 large, sweet onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 t. sea salt (more or less to taste)
pepper (to taste)
lemon juice
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
sour cream, optional
green taco sauce, optional

The night before, soak beans by covering with water and adding 2 Tb. lemon juice to water. Soaking overnight helps to neutralize phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. It breaks down the difficult to digest complex sugars. (Nourishing Traditions)

Translation: It releases the "toots" that gives beans a bad rap.

In the morning, drain beans and rinse. Add to crockpot. In a large frying pan, saute onions and celery in 1 Tb. olive oil and 1 Tb. unsalted butter, until tender. Add to crockpot with remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8. Serve with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and green taco sauce. Great with cornbread!

*If cooked on the stove, cook beans in water, until halfway done. Skim any foam ("toots") from liquid. Drain. Add back to pot along with remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, or until beans are tender.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the newest member of the family! I hope we get to see pictures:) Being a grandmother is just the best gift God gave me on Earth. Thanks so much for posting to Crock Pot Wednesday; I am anxious to try your black bean soup. Come link up to Merry Merry Munchies and share a Christmas (or any time of year) goody.