Thursday, December 17, 2009

Homemade Fabric Softener



When my family and I decided to use more natural products, we had no idea just how many "natural" products there were. It seems as if all of the cleaning companies decided to jump on the "fad wagon" and promote their products as healthier choices.

And make a pretty little profit off of the consumer in the process.

Personally, I'd like to keep a few more of my pennies.

Here's the deal. I use distilled white vinegar in my rinse cycle, both in the laundry and in my dishwasher. And while the smell NEVER attaches itself to my socks and saucers, it is offensive to my olfactory senses going in! *shudder*

I came across this recipe for Lavender Fabric Softener. I had some dried lavender that I had picked up a the farmer's market during the summer and now have a nice little batch steeping in the laundry room. I must admit, it smells better than I thought it would!

Homemade Lavender Fabric Softener

1 quart distilled, white vinegar

1 cup dried or fresh lavender buds

2-4 drops lavender essential oil

Place lavender buds in wide mouth, quart canning jar. Add vinegar and cover with plastic lid. (Always plastic. Metal corrodes!) Let mixture steep for 1 week. Strain through cheesecloth. Add essential oil, if desired. Add 1/2 cup to rinse cycle of laundry.

No comments: