Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Gym


One of my favorite movies of all time is "Steel Magnolia's". No matter how many times I've watched this, (at least 30, so far!) it still causes my eyes to "leak"! There are so many parts of the movie that make me laugh as well. Too many to just choose one favorite. Well, actually, there is one. Olympia Dukakis's character, Clairee, says to Ouiser (Shirley MacLane) (while watching the mayor's wife dancing at a wedding), "Looks like two pigs, fightin' under a blanket."


Today, while getting ready for church, I could relate.


I changed 4 times. And wasn't happy with any of my choices! At first, I thought my clothes had shrunk. Problem was, 2 of the shirts had never been worn! Of course, I then started thinking about everything I had eaten in the last 24 hours to see if maybe sodium was the culprit. You know, "salt bloat"? But no, I think that bloating is only really seen in the abdomen area (and maybe the ankles!), not the chest area.


So, today I made a decision.


Starting tomorrow (famous last words!) I will get back into an exercise routine. After all, I have the equipment. I think it's equipment anyway. Hard to see it with all the coats, rags and boxes laying on them...but I'm sure they are under there somewhere. Today, I will go downstairs and uncover (and dust) the treadmill, bicycle, and weight machine. I will hang a towel, sync my Ipod, and find my workout pants.


Tomorrow, I will throw away the excuses and actually become proactive in my exercise regime. After all, who wants to look at "2 pigs fighting under a blanket"?


Of course, I could wake up and the "swelling" will have gone down!

No comments: