Friday, February 26, 2010

Peanut Butter Dog Treats


Maisie and Molly love their peanut butter. I don't mean that they'll nuzzle our hands for a quick lick, but rather, they'll knock down anyone who gets in their way, as soon as they hear the refrigerator door open!



That's some serious love.



It's how I feel about my espresso machine. Undying devotion.



In order to coax the girls into entering their snuggly kennels at bedtime, we have to bribe them with a treat. Face it, would you want to go from your warm cushion next to the fireplace, where all of your peoples are at, to a square box with a blanket? Not likely. Needless to say, coaxing them at 10 pm is not a fun chore.



Neither is forking over $8 for a box of dog biscuits. Not when they can be made at home for mere pennies.



The best part? It doesn't give the girls gas. And I don't mean the kind that goes in vehicles either.


I'm talking about the kind that clears the room.



Sometimes, even the house.





Peanut Butter Dog Treats


1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1-1/2 cup white flour

1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (I used crunchy)

1 cup cold water

2 Tb. olive, coconut or grapeseed oil



Preheat oven to 350F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water in a mixer. Add flour, one cup at a time forming the dough. Knead dough into a firm ball and roll to 1/4" thickness.



Cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, (I lined it with parchment), and bake for 20 minutes. Makes approximately 2-1/2 dozen.



I used cookies cutters to cut shapes. Since I didn't have a bone cookie cutter, I went with farm animals. Then I had second thoughts.



Cats? Not a good idea. We have 2 that are tortured every time we walk the dogs.




Chickens? Another very bad idea. Especially since one of the girls is a hound, the other a bird dog.


Yep. Baaaad idea.



I ended up going with the humble pig. I'll call him Wilbur. We do not own a Wilbur. Probably a pretty safe bet that the girls aren't going to nibble or chase an animal we don't know.


We were trying to get a picture of the girls being all proper and patient. Maisie wouldn't sit still. She couldn't. She laid down. She danced on 2 legs. She chased her tail. But she could not stop moving.


Molly knew that she wasn't getting her cookie until Maisie behaved.


So she helped her.


And yes, both girls finally earned their Wilburs.




1 comment:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

What a funny (last) picture. When I saw the pic up top with them all on a cooling rack, I wasn't sure if they were pigs or fire hydrants LOL!!!

As soon as our bag gets low, I'm making treats for ours. I have so many recipes, I don't know which I'll use first, but I do have a whole bunch of carob, so I'll prob. start there.