Thursday, July 12, 2012

So Long Johnny. There's a New Salt in Town.


Once upon a time, I enjoyed a good barbecued steak. There were certain things I could count on when cooking that steak, such as; the beef was always grass-fed from our farm, it was always cooked until the cow had just stopped mooing, and the steak was always shared with someone special named Johnny. 

Those were the good ol' days.

When I found out about my food allergies, our way of barbecuing had to change. And so did my special partner. See Johnny was no good for me. Oh sure, he made me feel itchy and tingly all over, but he also caused an ache in my belly that would last for days. I loved him, but all he knew how to do was hurt. So I ended my lifetime love affair with Johnny. Cold turkey. I'm not saying it was easy or it happened overnight, but somewhere in the aftermath, something started to change. I realized that I didn't need to be in a relationship with an abusive seasoning full of soy, wheat, and random fillers. I needed the real deal.

The back of the Johnny's Seasoning Salt bottle says "Pure Magic." Then it lists the ingredients: salt, sugar, paprika, pepper, dehydrated garlic, soy sauce powder (made with soybeans, wheat, salt, and malto-dextrin), cellulose gel, and citric acid.

I wonder if the magic is in the genetically modified soybeans, the cellulose gel, or the malto-dextrin. (For the record, I looked up cellulose gel and was assured that it is vegan, so that's one less thing to worry about when barbecuing meat.☺)

This new relationship is so simple. There are no funky ingredients and you can name your bottle of salt whatever you like. I'm calling mine Steve. 

And I'm sure we'll live happily ever after...

Somebody forgot to add the pepper.

~ Steve Just Seasoned Salt ~

3 Tb. sea salt
2 Tb. garlic powder
1 Tb. onion powder
1 Tb. coarse black pepper
2 Tb. paprika
1 Tb. sugar
pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix together. Store in a dry covered container.

Enjoy!

~The End~




5 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I make all my own salts and seasonings (and sell 'em for those who do not want to bother). It is so much nicer knowing what is in each one, and cheaper, too! My favorite is my Cafe Noir rub....yum!

Candy C. said...

Cute post! I have been making several of my seasonings for a couple of years now and not only do you get to know what everything is that is in there but it is cheaper too!
I hope you and Steve have many happy years together! :)

Kim said...

Cafe Noir? That sounds yummy and so much more impressive than Steve! I didn't figure out the cost of making my own seasoned salt, but I'm sure it was only a fraction of the cost of Johnny's.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Making this NOW. Thanks Kim! :)

Kim said...

You're welcome! :)