Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Crockpot Hamburger Minestrone Soup


Disclaimer: This is not a crockpot.

Funny story. Monday was grocery shopping day. I hurried to get home so that I could get the soup in the crockpot. It was lunchtime. I chopped, diced, measured and sauteed while my children enjoyed their meal.

Then I plugged in the crockpot.

At some point, somebody, but we don't know who, unplugged the crockpot, thus leaving the soup in it's cocoon of coldness.

For 5 hours.

So, while this is a soup meant for the crockpot, it is a very good idea to make sure that the pot is plugged in, just in case "somebody" does you the favor of performing a safety check in the kitchen without your knowledge.

Just sayin'...

(No, I am not bitter.)

The good news is that in the off-chance that the crockpot isn't allowed to do its job, a large soup pot works just as well. (And it gives "somebody" another dish to wash. I don't know why that makes me smile!)

Minestrone Soup

2 lbs. ground beef
8 cups beef broth
1 onion, chopped
1 t. dried thyme
3 Tb. fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 t. ground pepper
1 quart stewed tomatoes, broken up
2 cups chopped green cabbage
1 (15 oz.) can beans, white or kidney, drained
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
2 cups brown rice pasta
Parmesan cheese, grated

In a slow cooker, combine beef, broth, onion, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper, tomatoes and cabbage. Cover and cook on low 9-10 hours. Turn crockpot to high and add beans, zucchini and pasta. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes or until pasta is tender. Ladle soup into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.

If you are short on time, precook hamburger before adding to crockpot, which is what I tried to do.

Thankfully, that saved our soup!

Enjoy!

No comments: