Monday, February 28, 2011

A Goat's Good Taste


At our local bread outlet store, for every $5 spent, you can choose 1 free item from the discounted shelves. About once a month, I head in and pick up 4 loaves of bread for the freezer. It's a compromise to home-baked, but sometimes using store-bought can't be helped. That's where I draw the line. If you know me, you know that I would never, ever, ever pay money for bagged cookies, so for free, I decided that the goats would enjoy a nice treat.

Or, so I thought.

Apparently, one can never truly know or appreciate the more refined tastes of a goat.

Or, can we?

Gertie being offered a Vanilla Wafer cookie

Here you go girl. 
Gertie still being offered a Vanilla Wafer

"Smells delightful, but upon further inspection, I respectively decline. What else do you have?"

A gingersnap perhaps?

Gertie starts to fall for it, but then...

...goat wisdom prevails.

"Hey farmgirl, let me tell you what I really think about your free cookies."



After further consideration, I've decided to bake Gertie some homemade gingersnaps.

Maybe next time, she'll invite the kids to join.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Since I couldn't give away the stale, slightly damp, chemically-laden, cookie imposter's, I decided to give the turkeys a treat.

Turkeys are notoriously stupid birds.
Fred & Ethel also politely declined.

I guess my turkeys are an exception to the stupid rule. Their "treats" fell victim to the rains. There are still remnants of the cookies in their yard.

As I was leaving the turkey yard, my foot hit something.


It appears that my "girls" are immune to the taste of stale cookies.



It must run in the family.

This week, I've been schooled by a goat and some turkeys.

Guess I have a lot to learn about farming.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This post is linked to the Homestead Barn Hop!

 

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love this!!

We were talking today about getting goats, chickens, and rabbits when we move into the country. I can't wait!!

Kris said...

You have persnickity critters too? I thought mine were the only ones. It's amazing what mine have turned down for the finer things in life.

~*~The Family~*~ said...

LOL!! Our goats are picky too. We were just talking about one of them today who no longer likes peanuts after being given almonds. I guess the peanuts are to low brow for him now.