Monday, February 21, 2011

Not Your Average Chicken Pot Pie

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

On our recent trip to Spokane, my Mister surprised me with a trip to the Mary Janes Farm Store. As an official member of the sisterhood, I was very excited to see all of the farmgirl decor. This is a very dangerous store for someone with my decorating style to be in. My Mister was aware of that fact and gave me a monetary limit.

I'm happy to report that I spent every last nickel of that limit. While I'm thrilled with my new Tufted Chenille Shower Curtain, I came away with much more than material objects. I came away feeling a kinship with a woman whom I've never met, a connection that can only be measured by similar tastes and dreams. My Mister knew it too.


Moscow, Idaho

So he took me to Mary Jane's second store. What a man.

One of my favorite recipes is one that I got in an issue of Mary Jane's Farm magazine. Originally, it was a way to use the thinnings and early baby potatoes from a spring garden. While I applaud using the recipe in the spring, really, that just isn't enough for this awesome dish. Now we use it with all kinds of veggies, at all different times of the year.

Thank you Mary Jane! ☺

(I modified this recipe just a bit to accommodate our family and pan size!)




Mary Jane Butters' Bottomless Chicken Pot Pie

~The Players~

Dough:
2 C. unbleached, organic white flour
2-1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
1 Tb. chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 t. dried
1 T. fresh thyme, or 1 t. dried
1 C. unsalted, cold butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/3 C. ice water

Filling:
1/2 C. unsalted butter
8 C. vegetables, cut into 1/2-inch pieces~new potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, peas
1 T. fresh thyme, or 1 t. dried
2 t. sea salt
 1 t. black pepper
1/3 C. unbleached, organic white flour
2 C. chicken, cooked and cut into 1" pieces
1 Tb. lemon zest
1 C. chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
1 C. plus 1 Tb. heavy cream, divided

Dough:
In a large bowl, blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and herbs.

Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour mixture until peas-size clumps form.


Stir water into flour mixture to form dough. Using your hands, gather dough into a ball; flatten into a circle on a floured surface.


Filling:
Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add vegetables, thyme, salt, and pepper , and saute 10 minutes.


Add flour and stir 1 minute. Add chicken, lemon zest, stock, and 1 cup cream. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens to coat spoon.


Pour into an 8-cup baking dish. I used a 9"x13", deep-sided baking dish.

On a floured surface, roll out dough to the shape of your dish. We're not going for perfection here, just make sure it's large enough to cover the entire pie.


Fold the dough into quarters before placing on top of the filling; it makes it easier to handle.


Place dough on top of filling and press up the sides of the dish. I just one-finger crimped the crust to make sure that it was in contact with the dish. You could also use a fork if you want to get fancy. Brush the top with 1 Tb. cream. Cut 4 slits into the dough to vent. Place dish on a cookie sheet or foil to catch any spills.


Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi there New follower here from Indiana.I came across your blog over at the Homestead Barn Hop.I am so happy that I came across your blog,I am actually making a list of only Homesteading and Homeschool bloggers over at my blog.Please feel free to stop on over and FOLLOW us.

Gina said...

I'm from mid Missouri and my niece lives in Moscow, Idaho. Small world indeed.

The potpie looks yummy! Love your blog.

Our journey said...

Can't wait to try this! Thanks for posting!

~ Katie