Saturday, March 26, 2011

GF Spiced Apple Bundt Cake


I cannot express to you, in words, the joy that I feel when a recipe turns out. Especially when it's a recipe that has ingredients that are not the norm for me to use.

And most especially when the ingredients have garbanzo/fava bean flour in them.

I'm not sure what I was expecting exactly. Maybe a burrito type flavor, minus the flavor, perhaps? Or a tahini base without the sesame?

You're surprised that I know what tahini is, aren't you?

What I got from this cake experiment was nothing short of miraculous. It was light and fluffy, extremely moist and sweetened just enough with the glaze on top.

The only thing missing from my gluten-free cake experience was a pot of fresh decaf.

Which is currently brewing right now.

Guess what I'll be having in about 13 minutes! ☺

Gluten-Free Spiced Apple Bundt Cake
~from Gluten-Free 101~
Remember to use organic ingredients as much as possible.

~The Players~

2 t. xanthan gum (found in health food stores and Bob's Redmill)
1-1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
1-1/2 Tb. ground ginger
1 Tb. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1-1/2 cups milk
2 cups brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup Barbados molasses (not blackstrap)
1-1/2 t. vanilla extract
2 large pastured eggs, beaten
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325F. Generously grease (butter) a 10-inch Bundt pan.

Sift together flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large mixing bowl.




Always measure spices into a small bowl first. Putting the spices away as you go keeps you from wondering whether or not they were added already! Or so I've heard...☺

Combine milk and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan and bring just to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add butter, molasses and vanilla.







When butter is melted, add butter and sugar mixture to flour mixture in mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly blended.



 Add eggs, grated apple and nuts and mix until blended.


Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto rack to finish cooling.

Glaze with *Vanilla Glaze if desired.

Serves 12.

*Vanilla Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar (I used organic)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1-1/2 t. vanilla
2-4 Tb. hot water

Mix powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Add 2 Tb. hot water and whisk until lumps are gone and glaze has the consistency of real maple syrup. Add more hot water as needed. Poke holes into cake with a toothpick or skewer and pour glaze evenly over top.

Enjoy!

This recipe is linked with Sweets for a Saturday.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. I think I will be giving this one a try :)

Lisa said...

This cake sounds so deliciously spicy and fruity. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html