Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back to Basics~Pantrifying the Pantry


Yes. I made up a word.

Pantrifying: The art of stocking a pantry for times of famine, hungry teenagers, and lazy busy momma's.

Noah Webster would be proud.

The zucchini got away from me this week. In fact, I have a huge pile of over-sized squash that is going to be grated and fed to the goats and a hormone-crazed momma-to-be.

Tilly-mook tasting a pair of leather gloves.
The cravings are starting to get serious. I didn't have the heart to tell her that her "snack" may or may not have been a relative of hers.

I'm canning like a woman gone mad. I love canning season, but I really love canning season when the season actually cooperates with my schedule.

Currently the season and I are at odds.


I did find organic heirloom tomatoes on "The Island" at a farm called Bella Organics. I'm pretty sure that Green Zebra tomatoes are my favorite.


Of course, the Purple Cherokee, Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge, and German Red Strawberry tomatoes are my favorites too.

I'm fickle that way.


Together with peppers, onions, and cilantro, they make Cultured Salsa.

Otherwise known as MAGIC. *sigh*

I'll share the recipe tomorrow. ☺

As you know, I've been on a couponing kick lately. My "plan", such as I'm capable of, is to stock the pantry with foods that we'll actually use.

Organic pasta sauce on "reduced for quick sale"~17 quart jars for just $28.73. Regular price~$57.63

Beans were only $1/can. Good thing we like beans.

Buying by the case can result in huge savings.
Even during canning season, look for special deals to fill in the gaps.
Just make sure to save room for the pickles.


If Tilly-mook gets another craving, I'll be prepared.

Hop on over to the Homestead Barn Hop to see what other 'Steaders are up to!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried the coupon clipping but in our small area I found myself buying things that I wouldn't normally buy and spending more than if I only shop Aldi (THE stock up store). I agree, you should stock your pantry with the items that you would actually eat. We do have a few canned meats and we are planning on canning some of our own beef this fall when the temperatures cool off.

Jill of all Trades said...

Visiting from the Barn Hop. I just stocked my pantry too. The thing to remember with coupons is -they aren't a sale. They are advertising. They are designed to get you all excited about a "discount" and get you into the store to either buy more than you normally do, or buy brands you normally don't. If we think of it that way, it keeps us from going overboard. Your pantry looks awesome! I try not to make foolish mistakes by going nutso with coupons. But I will admit, I secretly love it when my pantry looks like a mini grocery store. There's definately comfort in a well stocked pantry.

Anonymous said...

the pantry looks great!
i've been wanting to get my feet wet in this coupon craze going on. I've always done some couponing but really want to take a big chunk out of our grocery bill now. Money is tight..... couponing here I come!

Anonymous said...

barnhopping here! aS a organizer at heart this post makes me beam lol

great job!

Renata said...

Looks great - & I had a giggle at your new word!!!
Have a wonderful day
Renata:)

April's Homemaking said...

Your pantry looks great, I also love all of your home canning- the cultured salsa looks good, as well as the heirloom tomatoes. I too am in the process of getting my pantry filled and organized as well- I love seeing rows of cans and food all organized!!