Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mango & Black Bean Confetti Salad

Recently, I attended my first Pampered Chef party. One of the tasty treats we sampled was Mango Confetti Salsa.

I may have doubled dipped.

Okay, I'm sure I did.

And I have no guilt. Or shame. Because it was amazing.

After I purchased the mango slicer, I booked my first party.

Because of that salsa.

Before the mango slicer came into my life, I was one of those crazy people who would gnaw and gnash, like a rabid dog with a meaty bone, trying desperately to get the mango flesh off of the pit. The pittance of mango that I actually ate was nothing in comparison to the amount of juice, and probably slobber, that dripped from my chin. But still I would try. Until one day when someone actually caught me gnawing and gnashing.

Remember, I have no guilt and certainly no shame, but for the sake of the children, we relocated.

And until now, none of my new neighbors knew about my shady mango past.

Now that I have the mango slicer, mangoes are back on the menu, and because one can't live on salsa alone (or so I've been informed), I came up with my own version in a salad form. Complete with protein.

Gnawing and gnashing are optional.☺

~The Players~

2 mangoes, diced
1 large, sweet red pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (use gloves!)
1 cup sweet corn (if using frozen, thaw by running under water in a colander)
1 cup tomato, diced (I used grape)
zest and juice of 3 limes
2 Tb. olive oil
1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
sea salt & pepper, to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Can serve immediately, but flavors intensify if refrigerated for 1 hour first.

I've made this several times now and each time is different. Try adding grilled chicken, or taco meat with olives for a different version of taco salad. Or use it as a topping for some fresh caught, grilled salmon.

Guess it's going back on the menu again!☺

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Amy Dingmann said...

Ok first off, the salsa sounds divine, but SERIOUSLY you are SO hilarious and I love reading your blog. You've got a certain spice and sass that someone who is very spicy and sassy (who...me?) REALLY appreciates and enjoys. :) Thanks for the good readin'!!

Kim said...

That's what havin' 9 kids does to a gal...and I used to be such a good girl too..sigh. :) I'm glad you enjoy it!