Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler


I have to be honest for a moment.

I wasn't going to share this recipe with you. I was afraid that sharing this would make it less special, would create a blackberry shortage in America, and would cause riots when the season was over.

Really, I was just thinking of you.

But then I realized that someday I might meet one of you, and you might invite me over for coffee, that might include a dessert, and....well...

See, I told you I was only thinking of you.

This recipe is a combination of several different recipes, some were hits, while others were just okay. Just okay is not good enough when it comes to cobbler. It just can't be.

 Life is too short for just okay.

Cobbler is not to be confused with pie (which has a crust), buckle (strudel topping), crisp (crispy topping that usually includes rolled oats), or a slump (cooked on stove). Cobbler is in a class by itself with its bubbling berries oozing up through the biscuity topping.

Blackberry cobbler should be on everyone's bucket list. If you haven't tried cobbler yet, now is the perfect time as blackberries are at the height of perfectness. I will warn you though; this cobbler is best served with vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream.

And if you're like me, one serving is never enough.☺

~Blackberry Cobbler~

~The Players~

Berry mixture: 4 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) blackberries
1/2 cup sugar (I used organic, but rapadura would work too.)
zest from 1 organic lemon
juice from half of a lemon
1/4 t. cinnamon
1-1/2 Tb. organic cornstarch or instant tapioca

Cobbler Topping:  3 Tb. organic sugar
1 cup flour (I used soft white wheat, but white flour is fine.)
1-1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. sea salt
4 Tb. unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk*
1 large egg

In a medium bowl, gently mix together the berry mixture. Place mixture in a buttered pie dish or a 9 x 9 casserole dish. Pat it down with the back of a spatula. Let it rest for 20 minutes.


Preheat oven to 350F.

Whisk together the 3 Tb. sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 


In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg until smooth.


Make sure your egg is a large egg and not the very small egg that a very helpful boy brings you.


Mix the milk/egg mixture into the flour mix using a wooden spoon. Stir until all of the flour is moistened, but do not over mix.


Drop by spoonfuls over berries.


Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Serve warm, but whatever you do...


Don't forget the ice cream!

Enjoy!☺

*If you want a more cakey topping, add an extra Tb. of milk to the 1/4 cup. 

4 comments:

Amy Dingmann said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I think I love you. Well, actually, I know I love you. And if I ever figure out where you live, I'm going to pay you a visit. WITH cobbler.

I love the tiny egg. I love the explanation of what cobbler is not, and I love that I've never heard of a slump. You taught me something today. You get a gold star! :)

And as far as "Life is too short for just okay"? I think that should be on a t-shirt. I'll bring that too when I show up at your doorstep with cobbler. :)

momma-lana said...

Now I might just have to go up to the intersate exit near us and poke around in the blackberry bushes and see if there are any to be picked. Hope I do not cause an accident with my backside facing traffic!

Lisa said...

Coffee and cobbler, what a pleasant thought. When you serve up a portion for yourself sometime today, just imagine sitting with your blogger friends chatting over coffee. :)

Blessings, ~Lisa

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for the wonderful recipe and photos! I put a link to your Blog in my Blog today, titled "Be Still and Know..." Thanks again, it looks like we'll be having cobbler soon!