Sunday, March 18, 2012

another one bites the dust...


Anyone who knows me, knows that the only time I ever consider running is when I'm running away from something. Usually a cow. Or a rabid neighbor dog. Sometimes my children. The point is, if I'm going to lose weight, my strength is going to have to come from something other than running.

Like food. 

I do food well. And usually for no other reason than I just like it. A lot.

After all the health issues that seem to be plaguing me of late, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I may have limitations on what I can eat, but I can certainly control the amount of what passes between these lips. 

And I can have a little fun while I'm doing it too.

I've had a lot of great advice ranging from doing the GAPS diet, to going low carb, vegetarian, and even vegan. What I decided to do was try a modified Paleo-ish diet. (I haven't eliminated dairy~that would leave me with absolutely nothing to eat in the morning!) I hesitate to use the word diet because that's not really what this is. This is about getting healthy. It's about finding foods that not only I can have, but my family can enjoy with me. 
 
Because nobody likes to cook 2 separate meals each night. Least of all me. 
 
And don't even get me started on cross-contamination. After "accidentally" kissing a crumb-covered baby and swelling to the size of a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon, toast has been banned from the upper level of the house. I look like a chicken with it's tail feathers on fire every time a glutenous utensil or baby gets within 6 feet of me.

It's not pretty.

But, for all the work it's been, my tail feather area is actually shrinking. So far I am down 13.5 pounds. (!!!!!) I'm singing Queen's hit "Another One Bites the Dust" every time I get on the scale.  Even better is that the inflammation that has plagued me for what has seemed like forever, is gone. I have normal thumbs again. The only time my body hurts is when a certain 3 year old pounces on me without warning. And I've only really missed bread twice. 

Before kissing the babies.
 
Finding new recipes has been a challenge. Since beef, eggs, fish, and shellfish are off-limits, my meat protein can only come from chicken and turkey. A new favorite is a chicken and grape salad wrap. 

It is what my gluten-free dreams are made of.


~Drunken Chicken Lettuce Wraps~

~The Players~

1 large chicken breast (bone-in)
olive oil for the pan
1/2 cup white wine (whatever you would drink)
1 c. red grapes, quartered
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
2 t. Dijon mustard
1/4-1/2 cup good mayonnaise 
sea salt & pepper, to taste
red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
 
Rinse the chicken breast, pat dry. Sear both sides of the chicken on a lightly oiled cast iron skillet; approximately 4 minutes each side. (I place a cast iron bacon press on the chicken while it's searing~a smaller cast iron skillet would work too.) Add 1/2 cup white wine and cover with a lid. Place in a preheated 350F. oven and bake until done; about 30 minutes. Make sure the chicken is no longer pink. Allow to cool enough to handle.

Shred cooled chicken. If you used a full-sized breast, you should have about 2-3 cups of chicken. Add grapes and onions. Stir in Dijon mustard. Add 1/4 cup of mayonnaise and stir in. Continue to add mayo until you reach the desired amount of moisture. Season with salt and pepper. Carefully drop about 1/4-1/3 cup of salad on each lettuce leaf. Wrap as you would a burrito, being mindful to fold the bottom up before rolling up the side. Refrigerate any salad that you aren't going to immediately consume. Makes 8-10 wraps.

Enjoy!



7 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Whoa! Good for you! I can say that I used to run....in fact, when i was a mere 52 (7 years ago) I ran my first 5k. Not so much anymore. One knee replacement down, one to go (which ain't gonna happen as we no longer have insurance)...
Now I have a hard time just getting to the mailbox! So...portion control is really the only way for me. and I have been very, very bad at that lately. Very encouraging post!

Tami said...

Oh Thank you SO MUCH for that opening picture. I haven't laughed that hard in while!

Good for you with changes you've made! Getting off gluten worked miracles for me.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

That picture (of the runners) is hilarious! :)
13.5lbs? WAY TO GO!!
Those wraps look yummy. If I can ever give up some of the foods I eat, I'm sure I'd be able to lose the other person that is attached to my mid section. Or at least 40lbs of them. :)

Candy C. said...

Way to go on losing that weight! Portion control is very, very important (I'm telling MYSELF that, you already know!). I have put on almost 20 pounds this winter and I'm Just. Not. Happy. About. It!! Portion control, portion control. I think I'll make that my new mantra!!

Lisa said...

Got snow? :)

Way to go, Kim! I'm loving your wrap recipe and am going to try it as soon as I get myself some grapes. NUM!

Blessings,

Lisa

Kim said...

Lisa~Not now~but I'll bet you do! Crazy, huh?

SparingChange said...

I am currently doing the 4 Hour Body "diet" which is a slow carb diet which is a little more strict than the Paleo (no fruit or dairy). Surprisingly, I have had alot of success! And I am also surprised that I am not starving throughout the day! Oh, and 10 lbs in 2 weeks was an added bonus.

I am sorry that you have had to go through all of this.