Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Homemade Spring Cleaners, Part 2

Sometimes in my zest for all things new, I forget to make note of where I find these "new" ideas. Like now. While researching natural cleaners and jotting down everything that sounded good, some of my notes got all jumbled.

Meaning, I didn't make note of the source.

So, if either of these are your recipes, please forgive me. Please also note that I love you. Forever.

And you can write that down to help you remember who loves ya baby.

Today, I'm talking cleaners again. Not just any cleaners, but of the all-purpose and garden variety. Why? Because they work. Because they are non-toxic alternatives to a very toxic world. Because someone went to all the trouble to post the recipes on the world wide web for all to enjoy. And because they smell really, really good.

I've been using my own version of an all-purpose cleaner for a few years now. While it works well enough, sometimes it takes a couple of extra squirts of the spray bottle to completely get a mess cleaned up. Maybe my initial ratios were off. Or maybe I forgot to add something. Or maybe I am just afraid of unleashing too much elbow grease on the mess. (Sometimes I don't know my own strength.) Whatever the reason, I've been searching for a new and improved recipe.

Houston, we have a winner.


~All-Purpose Cleaner~

2 Tb. white vinegar
1 t. borax
1 c. hot, filtered or distilled water
1/4 c. liquid peppermint castile soap (like Dr. Bonners)
20 drops sweet orange essential oil

Mix vinegar and borax into the hot water. Stir well to dissolve. Let cool.

Pour into a 12-oz. spray bottle. Add castile soap and essential oil. Replace the spray nozzle and gently shake to mix. Use on kitchen and bathroom counters.


~Produce Wash~

1 c. filtered water
1 c. white vinegar
1 Tb. baking soda
20 drops of grapefruit seed essential oil

Spray on produce. Rub all over for approximately 1 minute. Rinse well under running water.

(This one smells amazing!)

Next up~Hair "conditioner" and a homemade bleach alternative. And I do know where at least one of those came from!☺

4 comments:

Michaela said...

You're really going to make me look through the blog to find the first installment of cleaners, ain't'cha??

Harumph!!

PS- Did you see the orange oil cleaner I posted?? LOOOVVVEEE it!!

Kim said...

I did see it! And I bought some oranges just for the occasion! :)

Candy C. said...

This is such a neat series!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Oh, and I'm writing you down as the source! LOL!!

Wonderwoman said...

Love them both...am pinning this so I can remember where they came from :)