Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Italian Dressing Mix

It's no secret that I love salads.

My favorite salad consists of a mixture of baby lettuces, hard-boiled eggs, crispy bacon, sliced green olives, sunflower seeds, and feta cheese.

And while ranch dressing is a favorite topping, I sometimes want Italian.

I'm talking dressing, not a real Italian.

I haven't bought bottled dressings in a couple of years. Not only are they gross, but the ingredients are unpronounceable.

And my rule is: If I can't pronounce it, I can't eat it.

Simple enough.

Except making Italian dressing from scratch is not as easy as I originally thought. After a few failed attempts, I surfed the web (because I'm so tech-savvy) and found one that kind of worked.

So I tweaked it. Now it completely works.

And if you can find an Italian to serve it to you, even better.


~The Players~

1 Tb. garlic powder
1 Tb. onion powder
1 Tb. sugar
2 Tb. dried oregano
1 t. ground pepper
1/2 t. dried basil
1 Tb. dried parsley
1/4 t. celery salt
1-1/2 t. sea salt

Mix ingredients in a small bowl.

Store mix in airtight container until ready to use.

Are you ready yet?

To make Italian dressing, mix 2 Tb. dried mix with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and 2 Tb. water. Shake it up or whisk it.

Store any unused dressing in the refrigerator for up to a week.

For kicks, I decided to try this using fresh herbs. I mixed the garlic and onion powders, sugar, pepper, celery and sea salts together. When it was time to make the dressing, I chopped up some oregano, basil and parsley. Mix 1 Tb. mixed fresh herbs with 1-1/2 Tb. mix.

See how pretty it turned out?


What are you waiting for?

Go enjoy a little Italian!

No comments: