Monday, January 9, 2012

Banana Nut Muffins~A True American Love Story


Once upon a time, I was addicted to daytime television. Blame it on the hours of breastfeeding I had to sit still for. Blame it on the discovery of John Stamos and Rick Springfield. Blame it on my mother. The point is, I kicked the habit.

Now I have a new daytime addiction.

Gluten-free Freckled Banana Nut Muffins.

Pure heaven I tell ya.

If I could have 1 thing everyday for the rest of my life, it would be these. Especially slathered with fresh yogurt cream cheese.

Sinful.

And way more exciting than a couple of daytime drama "has-beens"...my waking hours will never be the same again. Trust me.☺

~Banana Chocolate Walnut Muffins~
(from the book, "The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook")

~The Players~

2-1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sucanat
2 t. baking powder
1-1/2 t. xanthan gum (a thickener found in the health food stores)
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
4 really ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup vanilla almond milk (can use regular milk)
1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil
2 t. pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil muffin tins (with coconut oil) or line with paper muffin cups.

In a large bowl, combine the brown rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well.

Place the bananas into a glass measuring cup and mash with a fork or potato masher.

Add the milk to the mashed bananas and whisk together with the melted coconut oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently fold until mixed. Be careful not to overmix. Gently fold the walnuts and chocolate chips into the batter.

Spoon batter into the oiled or papered muffin cups. Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to sit for a couple of minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm.

Makes 1-1/2 dozen.

*These freeze well, so make a double batch for later!☺

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Thanks for this, I will send it on to my girlfriend who is gluten intolerant! :)