Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Breakfast Hash


Before I started cooking our breakfasts, we used to eat a lot of cereal. Most boxes run $4-$5/ box. For a family of 11, that added up pretty quickly. I still buy cereal, (usually the cheerio-type for the grandbabies and only when it's on sale), but for quick because-we-slept-in mornings, we rely on this easy egg & potato dish.

One of our local grocery stores regularly puts out ads for their own brand of frozen potato products. Most people run straight for the tater tots and french fries, but not me. I fill my cart with the maximum number of old-fashioned hash browns. Sometimes known as Potatoes O'Brien, these are just precooked cubed potatoes. Period. No, they're not organic, but with almost everything else in our freezer being of the organic variety, I'm pretty okay with these being conventionally grown.

That and I'm really not a fan of soggy cheerio-type cereal.

This is so easy~there are no measurements and you just guesstimate quantity.

I majored in guesstimation.

Wish my teacher's would have appreciated my knack for guessing as much as my family does.☺

~The Players~

 frozen cubed hashbrown potatoes (I used a 2 lb. bag for 11 of us.)
1 egg for every person
Cooked meat of choice (bacon, ham, sausage, etc...)
grated cheese (We like Jarlsburg Swiss, but Gouda was good too!)
coconut oil for frying (I use expeller pressed so there's no coconut taste.)
salt & pepper, to taste


Heat coconut oil until hot. (If you cooked bacon, just add enough coconut oil to the bacon grease to keep the potatoes from sticking to the pan.) Add potatoes, sprinkle with salt & pepper, and place a lid on the pan. Allow the potatoes to cook, stirring a few times, until brown; approximately 10 minutes. You may need to add more coconut oil as it cooks.

While the potatoes are cooking, crack eggs into a bowl. Whisk to break apart. I add a couple of tablespoons of water and whisk until light and fluffy. Season with salt & pepper.

When the potatoes are nicely browned, add the precooked meat and eggs.

Green onions or bell peppers make a nice addition to the hash.

Reduce heat and cook until eggs are set. Once the eggs are cooked, remove from heat, add cheese and replace the lid. Let hash set for a couple of minutes, or until the cheese melts.

Serve while hot.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Yum! What a great, quick breakfast and better for you than soggy Cheerios! :)