Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Room of My Own

In the grand scheme of life, a mom's desire for her own space is an often neglected want. Don't get me wrong, as much as a family loves, adores, and admires (in a perfect world) the matriarch of the family, there is not usually the space or the time to provide that often-needed space of retreat.

In the past, to have any alone time, I've needed to go for walks, with my trusty pepper spray and over-enthusiastic Labrador retriever; had to rise before anyone else, which in my house, means it's still hours before sunrise, or stay up later than the rest of the family, which means that I probably shouldn't waste precious quiet time by sleeping. Not when there is likely something to clean!

Then there are the times where an unexplainable trip to town is needed. Not that that results in rest and relaxation, but at least the music in the car is mine and I am free to sing at the top of my lungs, off-key, and oblivious of anyone I know spotting me. Of course, this method is not suitable for the frugal homemaker as money that was allotted for
"Suzie's" new socks ends up buying the frazzled mommy's new nail polish. That is, if she even has any nails left.

Enter my family. Specifically, my Mister. Women see a need and talk about various ways to accomplish the goal. (Since I am a woman, this is an appropriate observation. Not so, if a man observes and has the audacity to mention it.) Men typically see a need and just giterdone. Unless it's a big football playoff weekend. Thankfully, my farmer man isn't too concerned with football. It leaves more time for giterdone mode.

After seeing his rather frazzled wife, eyes wide, babbling incoherently, and possibly drooling after a rather rough day of homeschooling (Algebra is NOT for the faint of heart! And all I'm doing is correcting!), my beloved decided that it was time to give Momma a place of her own.

Definition of "very own": kid, husband, dog & cat free, with frills, ruffles and a collection of Anne Geddes pictures on the walls. May also include various shades of the color pink.

What began it's life as a shared space of office and sewing area, is now mine. All mine.

My sewing area before...

My sewing room after...

The office area, after the desk was removed, before...and slightly after...

My antique table, perfect for quilting and sipping tea, after...


Our shared office/sewing/craft/wrapping paper storage, before...

My scrapbooking/wrapping paper storage, after...

My literature...

My work area...

My artwork...

My tea, in my great-grandmother's wedding china...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need one more thing to make my room absolutely perfect.


A little background noise.

Perfect.

2 comments:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Faboulous! I so long for the day that I can sew again in a sewing room instead of at the kitchen table! :)

Kym-Anne said...

Oh you're so lucky....I dream of having a room of my own!!!

Congrats on your new Grandbaby :)