Sunday, January 2, 2011

First Menu Plan for the New Year! 1/2/11


With a crazy, busy beginning of the new year, I've decided to add a little more to my already full plate. This week, we'll be starting our homeschooling back up, with some changes to our current curriculum. I am also starting physical therapy so I'll be ready to pitch hay bales by summer and I've decided to join a 30 day diet challenge, from the book, Eat Fat, Lose Fat. 

In this challenge, healthy, traditional fats (such as coconut oil, coconut milk, flax seed oil, etc...) are encouraged, refined carbohydrates are out, and healthy carbs are limited to vegetables, some fruits and minimal sweeteners. I'm supposed to give up caffeine too, but in order to prevent multiple homicides in my home, have decided against slaying that dragon this week. 

Maybe next week. 

Or year. 

So, why have I decided to do this now? Having been pretty immobile for the last 8 weeks, I am feeling a little sluggish. And fat. I am fat, but now I'm feeling fat.

I don't like feeling fat. It keeps me from living in the land of denial.

I'm also a lover of carbs. Give me fresh-baked bread any day of the week and I'm a happy girl. Even happier is the day when I find a mini Reese's Peanut Butter cup in the cushions of the couch. Then there are potatoes, rice, and the forbidden Starbucks latte.

See the problem?

So, if you're like me and searching the furniture for something chocolatey, I encourage you to pick up the book, Eat Fat, Lose Fat, by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. If the names sound familiar, they also wrote the book, Nourishing Traditions, which is one of my all-time favorite books. 

What have you got to lose?

Oh wait, I know the answer to this one!

Here's what's cookin' this week...

~Sunday~
Granola
Elk Stew, sourdough bread

~Monday~
Granola
Baked Salmon, Sweet Potato Fries, Green Salad (carried over from last week)

~Tuesday~

~Wednesday~
(1st day of challenge)
Grapefruit, Fried Eggs, Nitrate-free Bacon, Ezekiel Toast
Mesclun Salad, Baked Chicken w/ Coconut Peanut Sauce, Green Beans w/ Coconut, Kimchi

~Thursday~
Simple Soaked Oatmeal w/ blueberries
Coconut Corn Soup, Roasted Pork Tenderloin w/ Root Vegetables, Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

~Friday~
Coconut Smoothies
Red Meat Curry (with leftover pork loin), Mesclun Salad, Soaked Brown Rice (for family)

~Saturday~
Scrambled Eggs, Deer Sausage
Roast beef, Caesar Salad, Slow-baked Tomatoes, Steamed Spinach, Sauerkraut


For more menu plans, visit The Organizing Junkie for Menu Mondays.






  


1 comment:

Mountain Home Quilts said...

"I am fat, but now I'm feeling fat." Wow, you hit the nail on the head there for me. I was feeling pretty good before the holidays but now I just feel.... well.... fat. Not so good.
While I'm not ready to jump on the diet bandwagon just yet, I am ready to give up all the sweets!