Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Crockpot Salsa Chicken


Imagine coming home from a tediously long day in town. You've been shepherding children around , "mingling" with the masses at Wal-mart and dodging drivers who are unaware that there are other people on the road. The kids are hungry, again, and are asking not only for a menu, but a precise time of when it will be ready. The last thing that you want to think about is cooking dinner! Or, so I've heard. (I, of course, have NEVER had days like this....)

I love my crockpot! When I suspect that our day is going to be L-O-N-G, I take 10 minutes and throw stuff in the crockpot. Sometimes it's a total surprise! (Having chickens allows us to have fresh eggs, which allows me to redeem myself with scrambled eggs, when it is not a welcome surprise!) Most of the time, things turn out alright though. One of our favorite crockpot recipes is Salsa Chicken.


Salsa Chicken

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning

1 can cream of mushroom soup (the healthier, the better)

1 cup salsa

1 can black beans

1 cup (or so) frozen, sweet corn

1/2 cup sour cream

Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Pour undiluted soup and salsa over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred. Put back into pot. Add beans and corn and cook a little longer, just until hot. Stir in sour cream. Serve over rice. This is also good with tortilla chips as a nacho dish! Excellent as leftovers, if there are any!

3 comments:

~Country Lady~ said...

Ooohh sounds so delish!! Thank you for sharing.

Smelling Coffee said...

Yum! This is definitely one recipe I am going to try! Thanks...
Jennifer

Aiming4Simple said...

This sounds perfect for the busy weeks ahead. I found your recipe via MPM today!