Monday, October 19, 2009

Shopping result

Picture this...a mom wearing make-up, clean clothes and hair just so, sipping on a cup of hot tea, clipboard in hand and cap off the pen. Arriving at store #1, carrying purse, reusable bag, clipboard and of course, the tea. Walks in....and totally forgets why she's there!!!!! I don't know what happened today, but my brain was misfiring something awful! It must be the lack of sugar (yes, I'm still off sugar, hence the cup of tea rather than my weekly latte), it "could" be the age, but it's probably more that I was so excited to be wearing make-up and clean clothes that I forgot everything else! I've been living in my sweats for the past week, taking care of a sick daughter, working on lesson plans, catching up on laundry, cleaning, baking bread, etc..., so today was my first day of blue jeans and mascara...started off pretty good! The funny part of this story...this store WASN'T on my list! No wonder I couldn't remember! Not one to waste a trip, I did end up buying a gallon of raw, organic milk.

However, the day did improve. Remember the 350# of beef we had to buy? It ended up being 440# of hamburger! That's 440# of "as organic as you can get, without the title of organic" beef! I priced organic burger at the grocery store today. To buy 1 pound, the cost would be $4.99. By buying it off the farm, we saved $1800.00!!! That puts me in a pretty good mood! Think I'll reward the family with an apple pie tonight! Momma's feeling festive!

Here's how the rest of my shopping trip went...

Country Village Health Food store
1 gallon raw, organic milk $11.99 (We buy 1 of these each week and skim the cream for a dessert or butter)

Grocery Outlet
2 quarts 1/2 & 1/2 $3.78
2 1/2 gallons milk $8.45
beef hot dogs $1.49 (not organic, but I had a weak moment!)
1 pound breakfast sausage
2 bags coleslaw $2.38
2 bunches green onions $1.00
Subtotal: $19.59

Winco Foods
4 quarts organic chicken broth $7.52
2 large cans enchilada sauce $3.56
4 lemons $1.12
1 large box salad mix $4.98
1 box wheat Chex $3.42
2 cans olives $1.96
bananas (4.68 lbs.) $2.71
Q-tips $2.47
box of yellow cake mix $.98 (church potluck this weekend)
3 lbs. butter $7.11
2 oranges $1.32
cottage cheese $2.18
2 cans green chilies $2.96
onion powder $3.38 (couldn't buy in bulk, the bin was empty!)
Monterey jack cheese $4.51
2 pounds carrots $.98 (the deer finished our garden carrots off last week)
bulk brown lentils (2.13#) $1.64
apples (4.29#) $3.35
bulk oregano (.14#) $.49
tortilla chips $1.98
Subtotal: $58.50

Safeway
sesame salad dressing $3.59
2 pints organic heavy whipping cream $7.18
2 lbs. bacon $7.00 (again, not organic, but really missing bacon!)
8 chicken thighs $3.46
1 large box organic spinach $4.99
1 box organic basil $3.99
Subtotal: $30.21
-$ 5.00 coupon
Subtotal $25.21

Total: $115.29

I went over by $15.29, but I still ended up saving $1,784.71 for the whole day! Not too shabby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happens to me at least once a week or so. Usually when I walk into the parking lot and have no clue where I left my car. I think it's from mom-related stress...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! My name is Erica, and I work with Brant. I have kind of a homestead thing going on here, so he recommended your blog. I'm enjoying it!

Kim said...

Stress...I think that is my middle name! Hi Erica! I'm glad you're checking things out!