Thursday, January 7, 2010

HGTV and Chicken Farming


One of my favorite TV channels is HGTV. I don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment or if I need reminders to start/finish projects, but I just can't seem to get enough. Our DVR records every House Hunters episode and at any one time, holds at least 5 that I need to watch!


And I NEED to watch them.


We're not even planning to move.


It's not as if these shows make me feel good either. I can't seem to grasp how anyone can afford a 1 to 2 million dollar vacation house. It can't even be called a "home" because it's for vacation only! What do these people do for a living? One of the couples are home builders.


Someone needs to let their customers know that they've been robbed.


I'll build their homes for half. It might not be as pretty, or even upright, but they'll save some big bucks by going with me. Really, how hard can it be? Just some nails and a hammer, right?


Until I get "the call", I'll just continue punishing myself. Because I just can't seem to stop.

Meanwhile, on the farm, we've been thinning out our chicken coop. The chickens aren't the problem. The roosters are. Apparently, we're up to 8. We purchased "sexed" chicks, but Henny and Penny ended up being Lenny and Denny. Times 4. A couple of them have started cannibalizing the hens, so it's time for us to "farm".


I've realized that I'm not a very good farmer. I can process the birds if they don't look like birds.


I'll just leave the farming part to the boys.

Warning: If you're squeamish, DO NOT SCROLL DOWN. And please try not to notice the total and complete joy on my youngest son's face.


One of us is going to need therapy.


Probably me.



Matthew...a Future Farmer of America





My "Mister"...wishing he were on a beach somewhere else.






The greatest tasting, organic poultry...ever.


If I do say so myself.





3 comments:

Kym-Anne said...

Hi Kim,
Your chicken 'roosters' look yummy after they had been processed of course :)

I couldn't do the killing, I'm way to girly for that but I'd have no problem doing the eating.

We have the 'how to channel' over here too and we get most of the HGTV shows, I can't get enough either. I must admit I'm a Martha junkie, everyday at 4pm there I am!

Millie said...

Boy, can I relate! We had our first 'processing' event over the summer at a friends house who had never processed before either. Armed with instructions from the internet and 4 of her roosters caught and caged our day started out. Thankfully my mister has lots of wild game processing experience. That helped ALOT.
Now I have my own little flock and next spring I want to add to it so I know that eventually processing day will come again. And then sometimes I actually get a 'wild hair' and think I should order some meat chickens too... But did I mention that I don't really like the processing part?
I love HGTV too. But we only have local channels right now (that we get with rabbit ears) so I haven't had an HGTV fix in over a year! The withdrawals at first were awful but now it is just a fleeting memory :-)

Mountain Home Quilts said...

LOL! :) Yeah, I'm not much for processing chickens either. Our old hens just get sent to the feed store where someone else can chop their heads off. Maybe when my little boys are older, I'll leave it up to them to do it and we'll acutally have some homegrown chicken!