Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sourdough English Muffins

My family loves English muffins. We had been buying sourdough muffins from a bread outlet store for a great deal. 4 packages for $5.00. Not too bad. Then I read the ingredients.

Let me rephrase that. I tried to read the ingredients! Then I noticed the expiration date.

Somehow, I believe the two are linked.

My momma didn't raise no dummy. Okay, she did, but I'm learning.

Unpronounceable words, equals, food lives with no end. I'll call it "The Twinkie Phenomenon".

My new mission was to find a recipe for homemade sourdough English muffins, using ingredients that everyone could pronounce.

I think that this one's a winner.

Sourdough English Muffins

1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 cup milk
2 3/4 cup organic flour (I used organic white, but next time will substitute 1 cup wheat)
1 Tb. sugar
3/4 sea salt
1 t. baking soda
Cornmeal for dusting

Combine the starter, 2 cups of flour and milk in a large glass bowl. Stir to combine. Cover tightly with wrap and leave on the counter overnight.

Next morning, add remaining flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix well. If you have a mixer with a dough hook, mix for about 3 minutes. If not, turn onto lightly floured board and knead for 4-5 minutes. Roll our dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch biscuit cutter, or a glass. Before rolling out the scraps, rest the dough for a couple of minutes. Place the cut muffins onto a parchment lined baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal. (Semolina could be used for this also.) Let muffins rise for about an hour.





Grease (or spray) the griddle and heat to medium. Cook the muffins for 6-8 minutes on each side. If using a cast iron griddle, watch that the pan doesn't get too hot. Let cool slightly before splitting with a fork or bread knife.


See how puffy they get?



I forgot to take a finished picture before I slathered it in peanut butter and ate half of it! Lucky that my hubby reminded me through his mouthful of muffin!

For more recipes, check out The Grocery Cart Challenge!

5 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Will you marry me?? LOL. I am so making this this weekend! THNX for the recipe!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Those look FABULOUS!! Did you see the chat about english muffins on MJF? :) Yum, I am making these this weekend!!

Kim said...

Too funny! I didn't see the chat...but since it's MJ's sourdough starter, I may have to check it out!

Kym-Anne said...

These look delicious!
I'm going to try these out, I looove english muffins.

We must be psychicly linked or something, I have a post ready for Monday about breadcrumbs and all the odd ingredients that lie within.

Have a great weekend :)

Millie said...

Looks delicious!