Sunday, January 17, 2010

Menu Plan for 1/18-1/25


As I sit here, typing up my menu plan for the week, I've got one eye on the TV and one on the window. The U.S. Figure Skating Championships are on, and this is the competition that will determine who will represent us at the Olympics. I can't help but be filled with pride for my country when I see these amazing athletes skate, jump, flip and fly, all while landing on 1 foot!


I tend to view a skating rink from the ice. On my back.


The other eye is keeping a weathered eye on the horizon...a major storm is coming in.


I'm second guessing my decision to buy groceries in the morning.


Thankfully, most of my shopping will be done in our garage. I've planned our meals around the freezer and pantry this week and will only have to shop for fresh produce and dairy. Oh happy day!


I get asked how I remember to soak grains, make yogurt/keifer and have bread on the days that I need it. I'll let you in on a little secret...I don't. After I plan our meals and make out the grocery list, I write on the calendar what needs to be done and when. The calendar I use is for this purpose only. No more juggling the menu around because someone forgot to soak the oatmeal!


Now it gets juggled out of pure laziness.


I'm not proud.


Here's what's cookin' this week...


~Monday:
Homemade cinnamon rolls, orange juice
leftover Chicken Tortilla soup
Italian Pork, Tomato-spinach orzo (Crock pot Wednesday recipe!)


~Tuesday: leftover Cinnamon rolls, orange juice
Turkey/cream cheese roll-ups, carrot sticks
German pancakes, Honey/Dijon baked chicken, fruit salad


~Wednesday:
Baked oatmeal
Mango/orange smoothies, Cranberry muffins
Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad


~Thursday: Poached eggs,
homemade Sourdough English muffins
Plum smoothies, homemade pizza pockets
Lentil burritos, salad


~Friday: granola
Corndog muffins, Chocolate malt shakes
Biram Ruz, Shish Kebabs, sliced oranges (Geography meal to finish our Egypt unit)


~Saturday:
Baked egg casserole
Pb&j sandwiches, tortilla chips, salsa, apples
Pizza (from town!)


~Sunday: granola
leftovers
Venison stew, homemade sourdough rolls


As you may have noticed, our menu has a few "junk" food items. I recently watched an author/health expert talk about food do's and don'ts on TV. He said that junk food is okay, if it is made from scratch. We are less likely to have it very often if it requires a lot of effort! How true that is! It is all about balance and as such, I've declared Friday as "Fun Friday" in our house.


For this week anyway!
For more menu plans, visit Laura at The Organizing Junkie.

No comments: