Monday, October 24, 2011

Meal Plan 10/23/11


Have you ever heard the name Carrie Vitt? Well, until a couple of weeks ago, neither had I. She is the author of the blog Deliciously Organic and if you've never visited it, well, you should. Go ahead, I'll wait...............................................................................................................

Carrie, who doesn't know I exist, cooks with whole foods. Minus the 20% of junk. Minus the refined sugar. Minus the white, organic flour. She uses coconut oil, palm oil, butter, raw milk/cream, fresh ground whole wheat/pastry wheat, sucanat, maple syrup...everything that I already have in my pantry. But she is something that I am not.

Consistent.

And that is about to change.

While on our recent hunting trip, my tummy didn't like me too much. In fact, I got to see it's rebellious side and it was not pretty. It's easy to justify using ingredients one would not normally use while camping. There isn't room or time to prepare everything from scratch unless my plan was to stay in the camper the entire week.

At least, that's what I told myself. The truth? I saw the Nutella and couldn't stop myself. And then I saw the Fritos. And the white buns. And the sugary creamer. And the....well, you get the idea. Four of the six who went on this hunting trip also ended up getting the flu. While camping. Coincidence? I don't think so.

My meal plan for the week will look a little different. I'll be using several of Carrie's recipes that are found in her cookbook, "Deliciously Organic". Since these recipes aren't mine, I won't be able to share them with you, but do yourself a favor and get the cookbook. You won't be disappointed.

Unless of course you're looking for Nutella recipes.☺

(Carrie's recipes have an * by them.)

Here's what's cookin' this week...

~Sunday~
*Raspberry Almond Muffins, granola
Toe-Warmin' Chili, *Cheesy Jalapeno Cornbread

~Monday~
*Sour Cream & Lemon Pancakes w/ Blueberry Puree

~Tuesday~
*Loaded Baked Potato Soup, Green salad w/ Orange Vinaigrette

~Wednesday~
Coconut Berry Smoothies (new), Peanut Butter Breakfast Muffins
Mac & Cheese, meatloaf, steamed broccoli

~Thursday~
Pumpkin Spice Muffins, homemade hot chocolate
Chicken Strips (new), Cowboy fries, Marinated Tomatoes w/Basil (new), fresh applesauce

~Friday~
New Orleans Red Beans & Rice (new), Kim's Kornbread

~Saturday~
Speltcakes w/ caramelized apples

~Sunday~
Granola, toast
*Spicy Black Bean Soup, Sourdough bread

For a little menu inspiration, visit Menu Mondays!

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I'm always amazed that my body can no longer tolerate the "junk" that I used to eat on a daily basis. My tummy always tells me about it too!
Thanks for the link to Deliciously Organic!

momma-lana said...

Cowboy fries sounded so interesting that I googled it and found there are alot of versions. Which one do you make? I found one that tosses the potatoes with BBQ sauce and seasonings. I will definately be trying that one.

Sorry you had ill family members on your hunting trip. We have a tendancy to do somewhat the same thing when we spend time at our vacation house. After about 2 days of it I always wonder why we didn't remember how gross we felt last time.

Kim said...

Momma-lana~I guess I've never put the recipe on here...I'll fix that this week! :) Mine doesn't use barbecue sauce, but lots of spices~they are so good that I usually end up making 2 whole trays of them!

Candy C.~You're welcome!

momma-lana said...

Thanks!